Small workshop equipment selection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaktree11

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I would welcome some advice from those more experienced than me (which will be most of you!)
I have just finished building my workshop which some of you may have read about here: new-member-of-the-group-and-my-planned-workshop-t98586.html
sorry, dont know how to hyperlink it!
Anyway, the sale of some other equipment (primarily my Myford super 7) will fund the purchase of some new toys!
I want to become more proficient at general woodwork and be able to accurately make boxes simple furniture etc. I need to be able to replace some hand skills with machine work because I dont have the time or desire really to gain them. I am an engineer and i dont have a problem with making things but I know that some of the hand skills i would like to have would take years of patient practice to perfect.
So, right now I have a good drill press, a new triton TWX work center and a Triton TRA001 router, and a secondhand, but good, Record Power PT260 planer thicknesser. I also have an evolution Rage 3 table saw which was great for building the workshop but is nowhere near as accurate as i will need going forward.
As far as I can see I need a better table saw. Not worried about handling sheet material, I will rip that down with a circular saw and a guide i have made. I was thinking of the Bosch GTS10XC?
SO....questions

1. What other equipment would you recommend as important
2. I would welcome comments of the Bosch saw (I note that it does not have standard size T slots so a 3rd party mitre fence is out?)
2. Can I get away without a mitre saw if I buy the Bosch table saw

I think 3 questions is enough for one post, thank you all in advance for the help

John

1. A band saw maybe? A track saw (e.g. festool TS55) for definite. And a decent mitre saw.

2. It's awesome. I absolutely love mine and use it on a daily basis pretty much. Maybe you can't easily use 3rd party mitre fences, but the one supplied is fine (no detents on it mind). The blade supplied is good enough for rough ripping, but that's about it. Buy a Freud blade (or similar) for a world of difference.

3. Not really. It's good, but not that good.

Building box's and furniture obviously needs the ability to cut timber at right angles accurately according to the width and or height of the piece being cut this dictates what piece of equipment you need, anything up to 50mm thick by 200mm wide (according to the slide) can be accommodated on a chop/mitre slide saw, anything over that needs a table saw with an accurate mitre slide/gauge.

A band saw can do some wonderful things, look up bandsaw box's on Google its inspiring.

Have you considered a dovetail jig for your box's, I would recommend the Leigh jig as being the best out there, it is way superior to any other jig on the market, the instruction Manual is what all manufactures should aspire to, puts all other manual's to shame.

Mike

Thanks for the help so far. One thing I should have mentioned (I have enquirer about this in a separate topic) is that Triton make a contractors saw module for the TWX 7. It looks attractive but I am not sure of the accuracy. If it is sound then it's the obvious choice.

A bandsaw will definitely be on my needed list.

The lathe has been bid on so by tonight I will know the budget, should be over £1000 I hope.

John

I think you should keep the metal lathe and hold back your purchases...... a metal lathe is a bit too useful to sell once you have one.

Heimlaga -too late i am afraid, gone for £1300. I do agree with you though but my metalwork days are over. I have the original documentation for the Myford, It cost £58 in 1957!

Back