Small spinning top help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked if I would be able to make some small spinning tops about 40mm wide. I have made some larger ones but I can not work out how I could do these with the kit I have, I think I have to get some more jaws for my chuck. Can any one confirm this or give me an idea how to do this with my existing kit.

Axminster AWVSL
Axminster K10 chuck
Axminster type C dovetail jaws
the standard drive centres
And a jacobs 3 jaw chuck

Steven":2ppp3owt said:
I have been asked if I would be able to make some small spinning tops about 40mm wide. I have made some larger ones but I can not work out how I could do these with the kit I have, I think I have to get some more jaws for my chuck. Can any one confirm this or give me an idea how to do this with my existing kit.

Axminster AWVSL
Axminster K10 chuck
Axminster type C dovetail jaws
the standard drive centres
And a jacobs 3 jaw chuck

You can make spinning tops a lot of ways even between points as you can nearly part them off, part off the point end then just use a hacksaw to part off the hand holding part.
You can always make a chuck of some kind out of wood and hold the small ones that way plenty of ways of holding as pointed out to me from the people on here.
You could even make a jam chuck or jig of some kind so that you can just rattle them off in no time and each being the same.
Plenty of info on the web as well as free video's to watch about it.
Thanks and all the best.
Tim

Back