small oval maple box with lid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad de Crom

Established Member
Reaction score
Had this for a long time in a paper bag as a rough turning.
Almost a miniature, just a little bit to big for that, but fun to make.
It's not completely perfect, as it was hard turning it with my normal tools, actually to big for that kind small stuff, but I did the best I could.
Only good enough for small stuff like rings or earrings, etc.
Axis dimensions 86mmx56mm, total height 47mm.
Not a tight fit of the lid, to small for grabbing with your fingers, simply tip it off with a fingertip.
Finished with blanc transparent acrylic stain decoration.
Cheers, Ad
100_1582-smallovalboxwithlid.jpg

100_1583-smallovalboxwithlid.jpg

100_1584-smallovalboxwithlid.jpg

You were just teasing us with your first photo weren't you Ad? That made it look round!

That is a lovely little box, about 3 1/2 X 2 1/4 inches in real money. Just how do you chuck a lovely box like that? I had a look at how you showed how to do it before and I still can't work that one out?

I love it!

Ad
Like John I'm intrigued how this is done.

I guess the chucking is a waste block as you've talked about doing that before, but I went back through your posts (not all 7 pages I will admit) and did find one on oval turning, with a machine drawing of the mechanism you use, but the resolution is low and I can't work out the details. Any chance of getting a better description or giving the link to where one is?

Many thanks
Rob

John and Rob, there is no chuck involved in my oval turnings.
Only a faceplate as these (example) pictures shows. If there is not enough meat I use a glued waste block screwed with four screws on the faceplate.
For flattening the bottom of the oval, I screw an rectangular piece of wood on the faceplate, and make an oval recess with the size of the rim of the bowl, and put the oval bowl (upside down) into these recess, and fix it with ducktape. Hope these (example) pictures explain just enough what I'm doing.
Cheers, Ad
100_1570.jpg

100_1571.jpg

Rob, here is a bigger picture of my design. Hope this will help.
Anyway on the internet is not much to find about designs (drawings) of this kind of devices.
Cheers, Ad
NEWDESIGN.jpg

Hi Ad
Thanks for the clearer picture - I'm not sure I'm much clearer though. I'm passing it to a friend for another mind on it - he's into metalworking in a big way with wood turning a side interest, and is possibly better at understanding drawings than I.

I think I see how it works - the box section steel carries the faceplate and is mounted on an adjustable frame; this frame is clamped to a wooden wheel which can be mounted with a differing degree of eccentricity.

True or False ?

Rob

Rob, the faceplate is mounted on the runners by using a rectangular tube, with the faceplate in the middle.
Also mounted on the runners L and R the two adjustable bearers, making contact with the (round) cam. You see two parallel steel rods mounted into the runners and having a connection with the slider fixed at the central spindle
When the excentricity is set on zero, you get a circle when rotating. By set the excentricity on a value of 15mm, the bearers are forced to follow the cam by sliding around the cam, not a line contact, but sliding.
The whole (runners and faceplate) moves back and forth through the slider (the two steel rods), and creates on this way a perfect oval shape.
Regards, Ad

Jonzjob":2dp6cdou said:
I think that I'm getting a headache? What with watching the 'haunted fish tank' for the election till 2 this morning and a French class this afternoon?

Yes, I'm getting a headache! Nurse, the screens!
all this together with all my talk, I can imagine that you do get a headache John :wink:

I'll have a close look at it when I have woken up Ad. I'm usually quite good at fathoming mechanical problems, but at the moment just seeing straight is giving me problems?

It could well get worse tomorrow too because of it being VE Day. I was asked if I would join our village Association de Ancienne Combattants because I am ex R.A.F. and we always attend the VE Day and 11th Nov celebrations and after the celebrations and the aperatives we go on to a l o n g lunch with loads of food and wine!!!!!

It's a great honnour for me. I am the first forigner ever to be asked to join, so I have to keep the R.A.F. end up I'm sure you would agree! :p

Do we not notice anything in your posting, John, which suggests you are going along for duty alone ? Sounds an impressive bash - enjoy.

On the other hand it does really start define just quite how old you are - I'm impressed. Late 80's - or is that extending the definition of "combatant ancien" too far?

Rob

Jonzjob":10sd9nb7 said:
I'll have a close look at it when I have woken up Ad. I'm usually quite good at fathoming mechanical problems, but at the moment just seeing straight is giving me problems?

It could well get worse tomorrow too because of it being VE Day. I was asked if I would join our village Association de Ancienne Combattants because I am ex R.A.F. and we always attend the VE Day and 11th Nov celebrations and after the celebrations and the aperatives we go on to a l o n g lunch with loads of food and wine!!!!!

It's a great honnour for me. I am the first forigner ever to be asked to join, so I have to keep the R.A.F. end up I'm sure you would agree! :p
Yes John, this is a great honor, enjoy of all the celebrations and the splendid lunch!!!
Ad

Well, we are just starting to recover enough to go to bed now!! It was a lovely lunch and by coincidence in one of our favorite restraunts too. This was the 3rd bash we have attended, the first being a year ago today and they have all been good! The celebration by the village includes one of the children reading the names of the village men who were killed in the wars since the 1st WW. Very moving! I think that it is held to be a much more important day this side of the Channel because of the occupation? Is it a holiday in Holland Ad?

I was demobed in 1974 after 12 years as an aircraft eleky, mainly on large transports Rob. Plus 2 years Boys service training before that, at St Athans.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Ad. I will have a good look at that drawing and the youtube tomorrow when I can see straight, I hope? Well, there was a lot of very good wine!

Lovely little bowl Ad :D
Think i will just stick with round ones meself :lol:
Saw Norm Abram visit a place where they made oval picture frames that was done on a lathe.All very clever stuff :?

Jonzjob":ldlbi09m said:
Well, we are just starting to recover enough to go to bed now!! It was a lovely lunch and by coincidence in one of our favorite restraunts too. This was the 3rd bash we have attended, the first being a year ago today and they have all been good! The celebration by the village includes one of the children reading the names of the village men who were killed in the wars since the 1st WW. Very moving! I think that it is held to be a much more important day this side of the Channel because of the occupation? Is it a holiday in Holland Ad?

I was demobed in 1974 after 12 years as an aircraft eleky, mainly on large transports Rob. Plus 2 years Boys service training before that, at St Athans.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Ad. I will have a good look at that drawing and the youtube tomorrow when I can see straight, I hope? Well, there was a lot of very good wine!
John, good to read you had a great time yesterday, and yes the 5th of the month of may is a holiday here in Holland.
Last tuesday there was a Remembrance Day at the English- and Canadian cemetary, just outside of Bergen op Zoom. Attented by the Canadian and Dutch prime minister together with old veterans.
After the ceremony, the big parade in Bergen op Zoom, with a lunch in the oldest hotel of the Netherlands ''de Draak"
John, I don't see it as a hi-jacking of my thread, as being a technician I know very well how hard it can be to read drawings.
With the best regards, Ad

Back