Small mobile workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking at making a small mobile workbench that i can take to work (i work long nights on my own and figured i could get some bits done while im not busy!!)

Ive been looking at Japanese style benches and the mobile benches by 3x3 Tamar and Adrian Preda. Does anyone use one or have any recommendations?

Id like to put some sort of clamp on it in the style of Moxon but dont want to pay for the hardware. I need to keep the costs low. Thought about pipe clamp fittings. It wont need massive amounts of clamping capacity

Here is a no cost moxon.
IMG_1676.JPGIMG_1678.JPG
As to the bench a folding workmate and perhaps a bit of ply for the top.
If you screw a batten under the middle of the ply you can clamp that in the workmate to give a work surface.
Regards
John

Have a search for bench bull, that will also provide some inspiration. There are a lot of different designs, and it will depend what sort of woodwork you want to do at work.

The standard (dual height) B&D Workmate, often found on Gumtree for a tenner, is hard to beat. Older examples are better than the current offerings. There are plenty of ways to customise or improve one of these to better suit your own particular needs.

This little portable item cropped up on Christopher Schwartz's 'Lost Art Press' site about 10 years ago and created some excitement.
(The embedded link to the original 2012 auction in OZ doesn't work any more).

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2012/05/02/a-workbench-for-the-shop-deprived/

I believe that he wrote some more about it later, and a few people made replicas.
It is a miniature bench top complete with dogs and a vice, intended to bolt onto an existing surface. Two front screws can hold a small board upright.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back