small jointer/planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
i am now looking at buying a jointer, i know this question has been asked in the past but replies mainly state what others have bought which is not quite the answer i have been looking for.
the 300-400 pound ones look fine but my problem is size ai have a relatively small workshop so i will have to buy one that sits on my work bench when in use.
now then if you r to plane a long piece of stock to make the edges true and at 90`to each other i belive that most of the tables r way too small or should i just make up a support, but the problem with this is if the support isnt 100% true to the tables any long piece of wood wouldnt be planed true, or am i going a little over the top, as you know i am new to this and slowly building up my collection of tools some expert advice would be greatly appreciated,
can you buy a benchtop jointer with long tables?

cheers

shaun

Hi Shaun,

prawnking":5j23gmmy said:
can you buy a benchtop jointer with long tables?

In short, no. At least I've never seen one. Definitely buy one with the longest tables you can accomodate, even if that means opening the workshop door for in/outfeed space. Axminsters CT150 (now called the "new" CT1502 but I'm blowed if I can see anything new on it) is a cracking little machine, and on sale at the mo' for about £350. I know 'cos I've had one for a couple of years, bought it to replace my benchtop model. Believe me, the extra 450mm or so table length has been worth it's weight in gold. Also, all the benchtops (as far as I know) have brushed motors which makes them LOUD in use. Your neighbours/wife/ears will thank you for getting one with an induction motor.

Good luck deciding, I know how tramatic it can be.
Mark

p.s. For Sale: Axminster CT150. Excellent condition, 3 sets of blades (freshly ground), 100mm dust extraction spigot, wheel base (home made).

Reason for sale: The Jet has arrived :D :D :D :D 8)

Shaun

If you buy a small benchtop one so that you can move it out of the way when not in use bear in mind that you can easily knock them out of true especially if you lift them buy the feed tables. And the truth is that with such heavy lumps of metal you are grateful for anything to get a purchase on. My small SIP weighs 42Kg !! Aluminium and plastic jobies obviously less.

If you then decide to leave your benchtop jointer on top of the bench and not under it then you might as well buy a 'proper job' as it will take up the same floor space.

Since jointing is your start of the road to an accurate outcome I would not compromise here.

You are very welcome to view my SIP since you are only 'down the road'.

David

Latest posts

Back