Small fine dust extractor - advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a small fine dust extractor for my dewalt 712 mitre saw. I've got an Axminster 2200 extractor for the tablsaw, p/t etc, but I could do with a not too expensive small just for the Dewalt. Any recommendations for a not too pricey one?

I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a DW 707 and fitted the three extraction pipes to the rear outlets and these pipes in turn came into a manifold that terminated in 100mm. My extraction is a mini-cyclone powered by an Earlex Wet/Dry vacuum. This is pretty effective for nearly everything else such as the planer, thicknesser, spindle moulder and portable tools like the Festool TS55.

However, when it comes to using it with the DW707 it's performance is sadly lacking. Some of the dust gets sucked up the extraction pipes but only if the angle of the saw blade directs the dust in that direction. That in turn depends on the thickness of the stock and how far out the saw head has been pulled out on its' sliders. 90% of the dust gets thrown around everywhere.

The air at the saw end of the extraction pipes is 'lazy' and so I'm thinking of getting an extractor with a greater suck to see how that goes. Other thoughts (after discussion with Barry) is some sort of hood arrangement which again will need a good 'suck' to work. The other thought is to connect the Earlex directly to the manifold and see if that has any improvement...the downside, of course being that I will be back to square one and end up having to clean the Earlex filters all the time...which the mini-cyclone is rather successful in minimising the need for.

That's my two-pennorth.

It might be worth investing in one of the Makita vacuums. Plugs straight in to the mitre saw's dust tube, and the suction starts when you switch on the saw, if you route the power through the vacuum. Then comes in handy for cleaning up the workshop afterwards.

One of the big problems with RAS and Mitre saws is effective dust collection.
i've built a hood around my RAS with a down pipe at the back connected to the vac when in use and it works pretty well with any unvac'd dust collected in the tray area at the back of the RAS.
The vac I use is a cannister type with pleated drum filter and separate cloth filter which I think is to hospital standard and I also run the Microclene before , during and after. All this seems to keep the small workshop pretty dust free but its startling to see the amount of dust the Microclene collects!
beejay
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Thanks - and love the workbench beejay. Might copy your design for my new one if you don't mind.

Beejay, I've just had a look another look at your workshop - what an absolutely fantastic use of space! I am so inspired and have got lots of new ideas for my new workshop.

Just been having a look at the Trend T30AF aswell as those mentioned on here. has anyone got the Trend and any views? Found it cheapest so far at £149 at DM tools.

Hi Rob,
Iyhave the Trend AF vac and am very pleased with it. The noise level is lower than most domestic vacs, 72db I think and of course it has the power take off which is very useful. I use it mainly for the hand held power tools and the router and its pretty effective.
My only complaint about it is that I actually find the hose too long but most would find that a bonus I guess. Nice long mains lead as well.
Thanks for your comments on the bench and feel free to copy any part of it.
regards,
beejay

Hi Rob,

Don't laugh but have a look in B&Q. :shock:

There are a few of us with one of these should do what you want. They did a smaller one but it does not have the power take off. Oh and they are not Performance Power any more, renamed to Mcallister, but just the same kit.

Price was £60. 8)

DaveL":2s7vmm0r said:
Hi Rob,

There are a few of us with one of these should do what you want. They did a smaller one but it does not have the power take off. Oh and they are not Performance Power any more, renamed to Mcallister, but just the same kit.

Price was £60. 8)

I bought one and i saw them last time i was in there for about £40. Very good value and do a good job within reason.

DaveL":2f84mldg said:
Hi Rob,

Price was £60. 8)

Dave

Thanks for the tip - I would never laugh at a money saving tip. I'm thinking of the Trend T30AF - possibly - but I haven't ruled anything out. I'll pop in tomorrow and take a look. Tried looking on their website but as usual the B&Q one is hopeless.

i have a trend with the mdf filters and find it great, but like all things it won't actually effectively collect all the dust of an scms, because of the way the saw works.

i can plug mine in the extraction socket behind the blade on my 708, but frankly it only collects about 40% of the cutting dust. you need to make some kind of hood, but i also think it is important to either think about a hole and forced extraction under the blade, beneath the plastic strip,
or something at the end of that slot.

it looks like the b&q vacuum is similar to the trend, but then they all are.
the thing for me in the trend is that it will work with a 2000 watt router on the pto. also not sure about the filters, on the b&q one.

paul :wink:

Back