Small chainsaw recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
Sod's Law - half way through taking down a large conifer, my trusty McCulloch 435 packed in. In the process of resuscitating it, I discovered that the there is fuel leak from the tank and so repair won't be cost effective.
I use the saw mainly for cutting up logs for turning with the occasional felling of smallish trees so I don't need anything too serious but do want a petrol one for mobility.
I've just had a look at new chainsaws (14" will suffice for what I want) and the McCulloch CT360 looks pretty good.
Anybody got any views or recommendations.
Thanks,

Glynne

Hi Glynne
I can't comment on the model you quote. Arb guys fall into 2 camps and swear by either Stihl or Husqkvarna kit. Myself, I use a Stihl 025 with 18in bar for cutting firewood logs etc. Never missed a beat in 17 years of ownership and only serviced once in that time.

Yep stihl or husky for pro use, heaps of more budget ones around which are probably fine for occasional use. My mate got a cheapy one from screwfix which he swears by

+1 for Stihl and I also own 2 McCullochs. They're not in the same universe as a Stihl. Get one 2nd hand off ebay as they're expensive new. They last a long time so 2nd hand is fine generally. I would be inclined to buy 2nd hand and then have it professionally serviced. You'll still save a mint.

hanser":16bedizt said:
Hi Glynne
I can't comment on the model you quote. Arb guys fall into 2 camps and swear by either Stihl or Husqkvarna kit. Myself, I use a Stihl 025 with 18in bar for cutting firewood logs etc. Never missed a beat in 17 years of ownership and only serviced once in that time.

+1 for Stihl got a little 14'' one that i use for cut roofs great tool .

Cheers Bern :D

I just bought a little 14" einhell, cost £89 new inc vat, works a treat. Fine for little jobs.

I got myself a cheapo Chinese petrol one of eBay a few weeks ago. £60 odd quid. It is brilliant.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
As half the conifer is currently spread across the lawn with the other half still standing (and gardening is her number 1 passion) I really need to get a saw quickly. So attractive as EBay is, I think I need to go for a new one otherwise it will be a serious workout with a handsaw.

You can borrow my electric bosch if you want. It's taken down 6-7 fairly large trees with ease.

I can't be a stone's throw from you.

A massive thank you to Defsdoor who kindly lent me his electric Bosch so that I could take down the rest of the tree and clear the lawn before the rain came.
I just need to sort out a bit more of the stump and I'm sorted.

Very pleasently surprised as to how good the Bosch was and even more surprised how brilliant the local tip (Sutton Coldfield) was over a Bank Holiday weekend.
Normally you would expect to queue but they opened up a normally reserved section and put in 2 huge composter containers so as anyone with green waste could bypass the other waste. They also helped unload and even the banter was good - "Where the @$&% is Robin Hood going to hide now you've cut down all his trees?".

Up here we consider Stihl and Husqvarna to be real chainsaws for demaninding users.

For the less demanding users there are Jonsered and Dolmar.......... and bow saws of cause;)

Your chain saw will probably run a lot less than any chainsaw up here so buy what you can afford.......

Stihl ms180/181, runs a 14" bar easy and will tackle anything the homeowner is likely to want to do, ive had one for years and its taken down hundreds of trees, even stuff upto 20" in diameter and cut probably thousands of logs, for a domestic saw thats pretty good going! Id buy another tomorrow. Shop around and you can find them for abot 200quid.

If thats a bit rich, ive just bought a mitox 12" top handle saw for high work, its a cracking little saw, but more plasticky than the stihl, but for 169quid I cant complain, goes really well, hopefully it lasts. Ive heard a lot of goid things about the mitox saws so could be an alternative.

Hope this helps, tom.

Back