small bit of movement from drive spindle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

del

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all

been turning some large bits of jarrah (really got a bit weight to it) over the weekend but when i mounted the second bit from faceplate to chuck scewing the chuck on to the drive spindle i noticed a small amount of play not a great deal but when the chuck was fully screwed on i could move it up and down a fraction is this the norm cant say i have noticed this before but its all new to me not been turning long.

its a record CL3

cheers derek

sounds like your main bearing needs adjustment - section 10/page 22 of your manual

thanks for the reply jumps

just tryed what you suggested and cant say i see much of a difference i can still hear the spindle move very slightly when i pull it in an up and down movement

cheers derek

This is probably a stupid reply, but here goes anyway............ sorry if it offends your abilities.

Have you made sure that the Chuck goes all the way on, ie. nothing inside the thread, bits of rubbish etc. ?? if it doesn't latch on to the final ring beyond the thread, it can wobble a little............ ???????

del":2cpr22j5 said:
thanks for the reply jumps

just tryed what you suggested and cant say i see much of a difference i can still hear the spindle move very slightly when i pull it in an up and down movement

cheers derek

then the answer to your 'supplemental' question would be no - it's not normal on that lathe.

as has been highlighted it is important to isolate the spindle and bearing from any movement associated with the fitting of a chuck, the chuck itself and the mounted piece.

hi all

its not the chuck (and it does thread all the way on) as i can feel a small bit of movement when moving the the spindle by hand in an up and down movement

thanks for the replys

cheers derek

hi can you rotate the head (not talking about the spindle)at all on that lathe
just if you can then the central bar could have slipped and when you realined the tailstock and the spindle you might have located on the bar itself and not the location hole that has been made in the bar itself.
you could also do this if you ever had to take the head off for some reason.
you would have damaged the bar and then it would seem it is located right but would have the same up and down problem.
can go more into detail about it and overcoming it if you have that sort of head.
does the head rotate at all? 90deg or more or less?.
thanks and all the best my friend. tim

hi tim

i do have the head that rotates but i have not used it in that manner because of the lack of space in my shed but i get the jist of what you are saying i did realine the head and tail stock just incase anything came loose . will give it another check tonight when home from work but i really do think the movement is comming from the bearing and sindle but let me know about the overcoming the headstock prob

thanks derek

The spindle moves up and down slightly, what about back and forward?

The CL3 has phosphor bronze tapered bearings which must be lubricated and it is possible that, if you have not lubricated them, they have worn slightly oval with the heavy loads you have been turning. If that is the case then new bearings will be needed.

Latest posts

Back