Slow grinding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a hobby woodturner.
After upgrading my grinding equipment several times, I would like to put a stop to this inefficient spending.
At the moment I use a Tormek system to sharpen my tools. I am quite happy with it.
I am looking for a better especially faster way to regrind tools c.q. to get my preferred grind on new tools.
I have a small 150 mm (6") Creusen. It is a good grinder, but when I use this to regrind a tool, it still takes ages to get the same curve on the Tormek.
Apart from that I am still well able to get tools like skews and gouges with very long bevels too hot. :evil:
I think of buying either: Are there users on this forum

• that have used a course stone on a wet grinder like the Tormek?
    • that use(d) this Axminster grinder?
I would appreciate their comments.

Are there 200mm or 250mm slow grinders available in Europe at a reasonable price that I have missed?

Thanks,

Hans

I think you've posted in the wrong place hans - woodturning would have been better.

Anyway, I turn all day long - most days of the week and I'd never dream of grinding my tools on the Jet waterstone that I have - life is just too short. I use a fairly old 6" grinder with it's original grey wheels - one coarse, one finer - I find I can get the edge I want from that. Get the basic shape formed, then touch it up as and when required - it works for me at least.

much the same as this:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-2 ... rinder.asp

Though I'm deeply ashamed to admit it

Chris. :oops: :oops:

Hi Chris,

you are right, posting in the woodturning forum would probably give more reactions.

About free hand grinding. I started woodturning just a couple of years ago.
A friend of mine has worked for over 40 years as an instrument builder.
I have seen him do some pretty slick free hand grinding.
I gave up. As I wrote I'm happy sharpening with my Tormek.

Hans

Hi Hans,

I personally use a 6" grinder with an 80grit white wheel and a tilting shelf to get a consistant angle. I then hone with a small slip stone. I'm very happy with this method but it does take a bit of practice!

The key to using a Tormek, as I understand it, is to get your tools set up in the jig exactly the same each time so you are more honing the tool rather than re-grnding each time. I'm told that this, when done properly, is as quick and efficient as using a standard grinder. Again, I'd imagine this takes a fair bit of practice to perfect.

I'd probably recommend finding a method that suits you and keep practicing until you can do it with your eyes closed (not recommended for health and safety reasons :lol: :lol: !!)

Good luck,

Richard

Hans, I don't think you will beat a normal freshly dressed White stone for general HSS turning tool sharpening, if you wish to remove the material quicker then a Blue ceramic will do just that and with less heat, although caution is required if not competent at grinding because it is all too easy to remove metal quicker than expected.

As you have found wet grinding with 220/240 grit wheels is very slow on HSS and unless you have a jig set for each individual tool of little benefit in my opinion for speed of retouching.

I find that careful honing of an edge on a stiff buffing wheel after white wheel grinding provides all the finesse of edge that is of any benefit to me for finishing cuts.

My setup currently uses a White & Blue wheels.

A blue ceramic stone, eh? Thanks Chas, I may have to check that one out. I've been burning my irons and chisels for the very first time today with an 80g white wheel...! :oops:

Latest posts

Back