Slow cure wood glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Does anyone have a source for a slow cure wood glue. I have tried epoxy but this can leave a dark glue line.

Cheers

Ian

A urea-formaldehyde such as Cascamite is slow setting...something that I've recently returned to after many years. Working time of around an hour, but one of the problems is that it sets glass hard when fully cured :evil: Axminster stock the stuff - Rob

Yes.
One problem I had with urea formaldehyde glue is that it tends to be brittle when very dry, so if it's used on chair joints in a centrally heated atmosphere, when the joint is stressed (such as when someone rocks the chair up on two legs) the glue tends to shatter.

I've been using Titebond Liquid Hide glue which seemed to give me plenty of time. However, I was surprised to see that according to their product selector, if you search for 'long assembly time' you get these four products and the hide glue is rated at only 10 minutes open time / 30 mins total, which is barely more than the 'ordinary' PVAs and a bit less than the 'extend' option.

Titebond extended time glue selection here.

Cascamite also known as One Shot. Is the stuff you linked a 2 part adhesive i.e Needing a separate hardner??

Yes your right it is a 2 part mix - would this be ok to use on standard joinery which didn't come under stress?

The liquid hide is good but not for light woods as the glue line is dark.

Latest posts

Back