Slipping drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a Powermax drum sander (like the Jet) and generally I'm happy with it. However, just recently I've been having a few problems with slippage. The sandpaper-type drive sleeve doesn't grip the workpiece, so the workpiece stays in one place the drums dwells and leaves a witness mark. SO instead of being smooth and flat there is a hollow.

Has anyone else had this problem and have any ideas about fixing it. It's as if the sleeve has lost its grippiness.

AHGR

I have Ryobi version of the same. Mine has the rubber feed belt. If I don't clean it regularly, it builds up with sawdust and starts to slip. Is it possible yours just needs cleaned? Or could the abrasive be getting worn out (grit not as sharp as it needs to be)? Maybe you need to replace it. If so, you might consider getting the rubber belt. A bit expensive, but should outlast five of the paper ones.

Brad

Steve,
I have a Performax 22-44 and occasionally the workpiece slips on the lower belt. In my case, it is getting worn. there are patches where the drum has contacted it when I have sanded very thin stuff and the lower belt has developed a few lumps and bumps (by remaining stopped in the same place over the rollers for too long between jobs). You can get rubber belts for them but I have never used one on mine. I will think about it next time I think about replacing it.

Hi Steve,
I have the Delta B.O.S.S, and i had a similar problem...but found the cure is simply washing the rubber inserts with a mild detergent (washing up liquid to be precise) i think they actually get clogged with the minute dust particles and it seems to act like a lubricant? between the rubber and the sleeve.

I know its not a power drum sander, but similar operation , smaller scale???
or maybe not.... :shock:
anyway worked for me.....

hope it helps

NeilO":epazvtaf said:
Hi Steve,
I have the Delta B.O.S.S, and i had a similar problem...but found the cure is simply washing the rubber inserts with a mild detergent (washing up liquid to be precise) i think they actually get clogged with the minute dust particles and it seems to act like a lubricant? between the rubber and the sleeve.

I know its not a power drum sander, but similar operation , smaller scale???
or maybe not.... :shock:
anyway worked for me.....

hope it helps

Steve,

Ah yes, didn't think to ask: Is the belt slipping against the rollers or against the workpiece? Your first post seems to indicate it was slipping against the workpiece. Either way, a new belt would be helpful, but if it's the former, cleaning the rollers may help and if it's the latter, cleaning the belt may help.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the rubber one slipping against the rollers. If you take too deep of a cut, you can actually stall the feed motor, causing the same dip in your workpiece.

Brad

It's slipping against the workpiece. I'll give it a good clean today. What do you reckon, meths? I think turps or WD40 would just make things worse.

Steve Maskery":1bej8iya said:
It's slipping against the workpiece. I'll give it a good clean today. What do you reckon, meths? I think turps or WD40 would just make things worse.

Not sure. Haven't used the abrasive feed belts. But meths and a brass brush seems logical to me. (I would use the meths sparingly, don't want to saturate and break down the paper backing or the bond.)

Brad

Back