Slim Parting Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMASB

Established Member
Reaction score
Just brought myself this tool, but have been told you need to re-shape it, is this correct? If so what angle is best? and how to do it!!!
:roll: :) Many Thanks Thomasb (John really)

I'm assuming you are referring to something similar to the top one in this pic. John.

partingtools.jpg

Some people prefer to grind a small second bevel, I personally get on fine with mine 'as is'.

Hi (John really).

As with any cutting tool you really need a bevel to control the cut, especially if it is one you use single handed as when parting off. On these thin parting tools you normally have a 45deg bevel about 3 - 4mm long which is the one you use for control not the big bevel.

Used without a bevel they can be a bit vicious, and be hard to control, but some people prefer them that way. Personally I use the bevel.

Mine is an old saw blade and has no bevel. As said it can be viscious but I tend to only use it on smaller things so hasn't been a problem (so far).

Pete

I have the one same as the top picture on Chas post. I use it as it is in the picture. I didn't realise there was any other way.

Johnny B

Mornin' John.

If you decide to try the small bevel here is a example of the grind. You don't need a bevel of more than 3-4mm.

Now you can try both methods and decide for yourself.

Back