Slight Plane mis-hap :( is it useable or repairable??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought myself a plane a while ago purely because it was ridiculously cheap. It was in pieces in the box when I got it and it was a bit of a gamble as to whether or not all the pieces were there (bearing in mind that I am a completely newbie to planes). When I got it all assembled in what I think is the right way, the reason for it's price-tag became more apparent.

Here she is -

stanplane001.jpg

stanplane002.jpg

Looks good so far...........

Now for a view of the rear -

stanplane004.jpg

The adjuster screw on the back was completely jammed on it's stud. I tried everything I could think of to release it, but it was not for budging. In the end, the stud ripped out of the plane body with the adjuster still stuck fast to it.

Firstly, is it any good as it is? And secondly, If I could find another stud and screw around the same size, do you think liquid-weld would do the trick and make it usable again?

Any thoughts welcome,

I may have a spare part.
I also have stud extractors
If you paid more than a fiver for that old cack you were done!!

I certainly have a spare No4 miles better than that one you can buy off me for not very much.

You know where I live :lol:

The stud has extracted. That's the problem :shock: it was only a fiver, but would be nice if it was still usable or repairable. Even with a spare part, do you think liquid weld would work as the thread in the plane body is no-more!

Assuming the adjuster is similar to a regular Stanley Bailey, you did realise that it has a left-handed thread i.e. clockwise to unscrew.

IMO a proper repair would cost more than the plane is worth unless you already have the necessary tools or are friendly with someone who does. Otherwise you don't have much to loose trying liquid metal, but free-up the adjuster on the stud first or it will simply pull out again.

Steve.

WoodAddict":q23k7npg said:
do you think liquid weld would work

Not a chance! [-(

Come round & rummage in my plane bit box
Personally I'd keep the box to put nuts & bolts in & chuck the plane in the bin :roll:

How unique are Acorn frogs? (I have a Record #06 with a Stanley frog :roll: - but it works).

I suggest you look for a replacement frog for a No.4 or 5. I have a couple spare but it's a long way to send them.

I find that most old e-pay planes have damaged soles or missing handles/lever-caps etc, but usually the frog's good, so there is a surplus of them (in my collecton anyway).

Cheers, Vann.

Paul,

Looking at the picture of the rear of the frog again I think it may be possible to effect a repair. Remove the frog from the plane and bond the stud back in using liquid metal or similar and wait for it to set. Then carefully drill a small hole 1mm ish up through the boss on the frog and through the stud, use a drill press and an angled block of wood to support the frog if possible to ensure an accurate hole. Press a hard steel pin into the hole (a good source for the pin is an old needle roller bearing). Find your pin first before drilling the hole so you can ensure its a snug fit. The pin will stop the stud from rotating or pulling out. Thats it fixed.

Steve.

p.s. If you would rather forget about the whole sorry episode p.m. me and I'll take the plane off your hands for a couple of quid plus postage.

I could send you a second hand Stanley number 4 frog for around a fiver but it would not have the red finish of the Acorn plane, I also have some nice examples of a number 4 plane Stanley and Record, delivered from £20 if of any use.

Gary

Latest posts

Back