Sliding sash window price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyhenson

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to price a sliding sash window complete with functioning shutters, architrave, overhead panel in iroko, glazed and finished painted. It's not something I would have done before so I was wondering would anyone have an idea on a price. Thanks

Odd size - they are rarely square. Size doesn't make a huge difference to the price (same number of joints, components etc). I'd start thinking at £1k for the window and £1k for the rest of the stuff, but there are many variables - starting with the design details.

I work (not in a woodworking capacity) for a company that makes and sells sash windows to window installation companies. Our premium range window of that size, standard 176mm box with architrave/liner finishing assembly, 4mm Annealed glass, fully finished and in Meranti (we don't do Iroko) we sell for about £1080 + VAT. A bit cheaper if you go for Redwood or about £300 more if you go for Oak. We don't do shutters.

An average price for a SS in the dims provided would be around the 1K mark, and exactly as someone else has stated I would be thinking around 2k all in, it sounds a lot, and it is, but theres a lot of work in the whole thing. also depending on the age of the property, you could be opening a huge can of worms when you remove the old one.

In fact, seeing as they want an overhead panel and all painted, I think you'll be closer to 3k than 2k.

Are you fitting it? Is it a box sash or spring balances? Shutters ...louvred or what style? Double glazed or single glazed.

You also need to factor in your extra time while you learn about how to make it!

I'd be looking at closer to £4k to be honest.

Thanks for the replys, it's a box sash on spring balances, double glazed. We will be fitting it along with oak storage units (our normal work). The shutters will be panelled door type

jimmyhenson":1r7imgms said:
Thanks for the replys, it's a box sash on spring balances, double glazed. We will be fitting it along with oak storage units (our normal work). The shutters will be panelled door type

I have just read your tag line, the chickens bit... Very funny :D

RogerS":1t44ff5e said:
Are you fitting it? Is it a box sash or spring balances? Shutters ...louvred or what style? Double glazed or single glazed.

You also need to factor in your extra time while you learn about how to make it!

Should someone charge just so they can learn how to make a box frame or it?

Stormer1940":2o1m768f said:
RogerS":2o1m768f said:

No but if you are running a business and this is going to be a one-off then surely the OP would need to consider whether or not he wanted to go down this route? If he can make something else for the same money but in much less time then that surely makes sense from a business perspective. Might be telling the OP about grandma's eggs, I appreciate.

RogerS":135g58iw said:
Stormer1940":135g58iw said:
RogerS":135g58iw said:

No but if you are running a business and this is going to be a one-off then surely the OP would need to consider whether or not he wanted to go down this route? If he can make something else for the same money but in much less time then that surely makes sense from a business perspective. Might be telling the OP about grandma's eggs, I appreciate.
I understand but to me a one off is an original. There are a ton of box frames out there and also the knowledge on how they are made.

When I did my apprenticeship many moons ago I learnt how to make box frames / sash's etc.

If I ever get a job that I don't feel comfortable doing then I would tell the customer just that. In the long run it's going to be cheaper for the customer.

Well said stormer 1940, I think any customer would appreciate your honesty. As a paying customer they would have no idea as to how much such an item would cost bespoke built. If however they were to ask the contractor to break down his charges (itemised) which I now do. Then I'm sure they would be a little perplexed if not angry that the conhtractor was charging them while fiddling around trying to work out to make it and charge for this time.

I appreciate we all have to make a living, but the money being considered is not small potatoes and therefore if not totally confident at being able to carry out the work then leave it to someone else who can. Other wise the contractor could be saddled, "Cowboy" and no one wants that I'm sure.

We were pricing it ourselves and coming in just over €3k. We wanted to make sure we were right in charging that much as it seems a lot for the size, but all the bits and pieces really do add up. I really appreciate all the info and I'll keep you posted on progress. Thanks again.
Jimmy

Latest posts

Back