Sliding Mitre Saw - Advice for Newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first mitre saw (budget £200 max).
I believe that the extra cutting capacity of a sliding mitre saw could be very useful. Looking at what may be available for my limited budget seems to rule out the likes of DeWalt and Makita.

Currently have found 2 10" sliding saws that on paper at least seem to fit the bill.
1. Ryobi EMS -2026SCL
2000w motor. Max cross cut 90mm x305
2. Jet JSMS-10L
1500w motor. Max cross cut 90mm x 305
Both of these can be purchased including stand for under £200.

Does anyone have experience of these units?
How accurate are they likely to be?
How easy to set up and maintain set up etc?

Any advice / opinions would be much appreciated
Thanks

There was some recent discussion of the SIP 12" SCMS when it was on special offer at Costco (a cash and carry wholesaler). Opinion seems to be that they are pretty good for the money, at about £200...a big beast though.

They are still found at Costco.

£130 I believe. You would have to be quick as this is the left over from the £99 special they had.

It is a 12" blade and works great. However bear in mind the unit is fairly large.

Cheers.

I want to buy a SCMS as well, and while googling I came across a positive review of the Bosch 4410. Seems like this is a US model and not for sale in the UK though.

Here is the review:
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b4410Lrvu.html

Bosch USA page:
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-d ... 31&I=64804

Here is the UK Bosch mitre saw range:
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-d ... 31&I=64804

Only a mild threadjacking - I doubt the Bosch is in the £200 price range - but any ideas whether this is just a case of 'same saw different name' or... what? Looking at the pictures seems to indicate that the 4410 isnt available in the UK even under a different moniker...

Sorry for the hijack :oops:

BrianD

Is Costco just for trade or can us DIYers get stuff from there too?

I fancy one of those SIP saws and £130 is a great price for them.

Cheers

Steve

Hijack over :)

Costco is a wholesaler so you can't just walk in off the street. They charge an annual membership fee (£26 I think) and you need to be a business/self employed or some form of professional qualification. The fee would be well worth it for the saw alone but once you get in there you are in serious danger of spending a lot of money.

innesm":1py2dkn3 said:
I want to buy a SCMS as well, and while googling I came across a positive review of the Bosch 4410. Seems like this is a US model and not for sale in the UK though.

The Bosch 4410 is the GCM10SD in the UK. The 4410L with a laser is not available in the UK as far as I know.

Quite a few of us have the Bosch GCM10SD - available herefor £379.

It's a good saw - but it's BIG.

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":21yl5k0y said:
The Bosch 4410 is the GCM10SD in the UK
It's a good saw - but it's BIG.

Ah - thanks! I should have guessed by examining the pics more closely. For the initial job I have in mind a small mitre saw would do, but I'm keen to get something that is more versatile. Maybe a 10" SCMS is OTT though.

Edit: I found this group test which may prove useful. Seems like the recommended 12" Makita is still smaller than the Bosch.
http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-mitersaws.pdf

Thanks for all the replies so far. The Sip does seem to be too large a beast for me and the Bosch far to expensive.

Hopefully someone will have some info on the Ryobi 2026 or Jet model I mentioned in original post.

Thanks again
TonyW

Styx,

you need to get someone with a costco card and away you go.

Where are you Styx?

I am far away from there I am afraid. Pity!

Cheers.

hi i have a rexon chop saw i bought a couple of years at B&Q when i was building my house.
ive given it major abuse in this time using it alot for cutting firewood :lol: never had a problem at all so in my opinion if i was looking for a sliding chopsaw on a tight budget i would look at rexon for sure :wink:

hope this helps buddy :)

I'm very happy with my B&Q Macalaster 1800W SCMS which ran in at £150 - The blade it was supplied with is totally unsutable, but once that's changed it becomes pretty good. The twin-laser system is very good once you calibrate it since it lets you see exactly how wide the kerf of the cut is.

I haven't used more expensive ones, so I can't comment on the accuracy, but armed with my trusty sheet of folded paper, I can get bang-on 45 and 90 degree cuts. The angle-mounted motor keeps itself nicely out of the way and has plenty of power for everything I need.

Negative points - Table a bit small, blade takes a long time to stop spinning.

P9170089.JPG

Fecn

f7_2.JPG

These are on eBay and seem OK for the money. Find one listed as Buy it Now and offer £40 - you'll get it. I got one, just out of interest really, and it surprised me just how good it is. OK, the angle of rotation in the vertical plane doesn't index, but what do you expect for £40?

It has a braked motor of 2000w and a blade diameter of 255mm.

Do an ebay search for 'Bosun Pro Saw'. They were flying out the door but buyers have tailed off of late; been selling since before Christmas - with good feedback.

Angela

i brought a recon dewalt from its tools. not much more than £200 as i remember. nicely engineered table and slides, market leader. mine has an 8 1/4 blade. highly recommended for accuracy although the dewalt blade is for rough work only. not a massive capaicity under the blade though.

Back