Sliding Deck Hatch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Percy

Established Member
Reaction score
A sliding deck hatch for a narrowboat, fitted to existing runners on aft cabin deck

Photo0216._2jpg.jpg

Photo0215_2.jpg

Photo0217_2.jpg

Mistakes, solutions, bodges:

1) Buying timber unseen - I bought Sapele timber in two lots off eBay.
What I later found was that it had a tendency to warp, and the 'interesting' grain was due to bands of 'reversing' grain which was to cause me grief towards the end when planing the top boards. Solution: Don't.

2) Planing those top boards - the block plane dug into the grain where it 'reversed'. Solution: the card scraper. Had to use this over the whole surface.

3) Those top boards again. I started off at one side. Should have started in the middle.

4) Shaping a curve...Tried to make the arch pieces using a coping saw and sandpaper to shape. Sanding just put a (slight) radius on the edge. Solution: maybe a spokeshave. Bodge: made a 'depression' on the underside of the board, at each end, to get them to sit down neatly.

5) Not having all the tools, and trying to make do. In particular, clamps and a block plane. Thought I could use a ratchet strap in place of a sash clamp. Bodge:What I did find, though, was that a load of sellotape and a pencil (or other such stick-like object) can do in a pinch to create a bit of tension. Like on a frame saw.

6) Drilling through (set) glue...hot bit melt glue. Answer - go slowly and in stages?

7) A long cut with the grain...Schoolboy error. The first couple of rips (as I now know them to be) were OK. Couldn't figure out why the next was so hard to control. Not sure what the answer to this one is.

8) Maybe the panel pins. Going to varnish over, maybe should have driven in and hidden so expansion in the sun doesn't pop the varnish. Time will tell.

Lessons:

1) The Card Scraper - what a revelation! And just a cheap rectangular bit of steel.

2) The brass panel pins. Quite soft - head will 'spread out' a little. Surprisingly, can hammer in until pretty well flush with surface.

[DRAFT - still remembering stuff]

Attachments

• Photo0216._2jpg.jpg
    Photo0216._2jpg.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,902
  • Photo0215_2.jpg
    Photo0215_2.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 1,903
  • Photo0217_2.jpg
    Photo0217_2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,899
Lovely job, and nothing adds to the pleasure of boating like having your own handiwork displayed on the boat.

Random Orbital Bob":w1d4tt06 said:
Looks a very nice job especially considering the challenges it threw your way. Did you avoid Teak due to the cost?
You know, I never even considered it. Probably because I thought I was going to cock things up, and didn't want to make an expensive mistake.

Back