Sliding carriage table saws - best slider position?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benpointer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to by a solid 10" sliding carriage table saw for regular hobby use. Some (e.g. Record TS205C, Jet JTP-600) seem to have the slider right next to the blade, others (Charnwood W629, W650, Axi AW10BSB2) have the slide 6-10" away from the blade. I appreciate the former are sometimes (not always) badged as panel saws but does anyone have a view on pros & cons of each type?

My use is likely to be mainly ripping hardwoods, some wavy edged, plus i'd like the ability to cross-cut up to 600mm accurately. 84 panels probably not on my likely cutting list.

Oh, and another question... The setting/assembly guides suggest setting the slide up to 1mm above the main table - presumably to ensure any timber clamped to the slider doesn't snag the main table. But isn't that going to make a mockery of the oft quoted desire for a flat table? Especially in the case of the saws with a slider right next to the blade,any planks being ripped are going to be high on the slider side, so therefore surely tilted over, meaning the cut will not be at 90 deg (or whatever your chosen angle is). Does anyone have this issue or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again

Steve

I think from memory that Felder set their sliding tables 0.1-0.2mm above the main table; but particularly on combination machines, or saw/spindle machines, a lot of users prefer them absolutely co-planar for the purposes of accurate spindle work. Mine's set absolutely flat, plus I regularly cramp down the workpiece with a heavy holdfast, consequently there are occasions with a bowed workpiece where it drags on the main table...personally I just get on with it and push a bit harder!

Ah right, thanks Custard, that sounds like a good example to follow then... It certainly didn't feel right to have a step between the slider and the table. Thanks

Right next to the blade is best for panel cutting and crosscutting as it is the most accurate having the least opportuntity for play or deflection,

For heavy ripping of solid boards, having a solid cast table both sides of the blade is the most rigid option, no sliding table that could deflect under pressure.

To some extent it all depends on the build quality of the machine

I have an old Wadkin dimension saw and the table passes right past the blade. Makes for excellent clean and accurate cuts.

I have the Charnwood w650 and as you pointed out their is cast iron table top between the blade and sliding carriage. For the last 6 months or so I've had the sliding table removed because I've needed the room. I'm not sure you could do that with another model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If youre going to use the sliding table a lot its best to have the sliding part next to the blade for support and control. This is usually set about 0.1mm - 0.2mm above the cast iron table, much more than this you can get instability when cutting. If you're mainly going to use it for ripping, its best to have the sliding part away from the blade.

Back