Sliding bevels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there another manufacturer of sliding bevels that use the same locking mechanism as Veritas? I'm sure I remember some of the bevels at college having that mechanism :? or I have it imagined it?

I'd like to get a new bevel and want to get away from the wingnut/screw locking type as they do make some of the work I do a bit of pita :D

I think the Veritas ones look good but are too expensive imo, so I was wondering if there was any cheaper bevels on the market with the same/similar locking mechanism?

Failing that, I like the look of the all metal Shinwa bevels with the locknut at the bottom of the handle. Any opinions on these?

Thanks

Hi scooby
Do you have the Tilgear cataloge as I am sure they do them :-k .
I have some of them and much prefer them too :)

If no one comes up with some where to get them I will have a look for you :)

Hmm... :-k I believe the Veritas is based on an old design, but I'm not sure that anyone else is making one like it now. You're not thinking of the sort with the single lever instead on a wingnut? I think Joseph Marples makes one like that. FWIW I've heard many good things about the Shinwa; seems to have been the desirable bevel in the States for years now.

Cheers, Alf

With many bevels, but none of the above.

Alf":3r1eglzb said:
Hmm... :-k I believe the Veritas is based on an old design, but I'm not sure that anyone else is making one like it now. You're not thinking of the sort with the single lever instead on a wingnut? I think Joseph Marples makes one like that. FWIW I've heard many good things about the Shinwa; seems to have been the desirable bevel in the States for years now.

Cheers, Alf

With many bevels, but none of the above.

Its been 10 years since I finished my time (and hence, college) so my memories is a little hazy but I'm 95% certain there were bevels similar to the veritas mechanism. There was the single lever type also but the 2 were definately different.
I think you are right about the Shinwa's being popular in the US.I like watching 'American Chopper' on Discovery (please don't hold it against me :D ) and they use all metal bevels that look very similar to the Shinwa.

I actually do not know anyone with a Shinwa sliding bevel--shows how much I get out. The squares, yes. That said, both the Starrett and Shinwa lock very well.

Like the Starrett sliding bevels, I really don't like them to have a locking mechanism which requires turning, so knobs and wingnuts are out for me. The LV one does work very well one-handed. I too forget, but I vaguely remember two makers which used the same principle as the LV one. Good luck finding one in the wild.

Take care, Mike

MikeW":3upx48ie said:
I actually do not know anyone with a Shinwa sliding bevel--shows how much I get out.
Nah, just shows magazines aren't reliable indicators of popularity. :roll: :lol:

The Shinwa sliding bevel looks remarkably similar to the old Stanley all-metal #18 mitre squares. The most recent European incarnation of this I can recall was the Dutch Nooitgedagt sliding bevels imported by Record somewhere around the mid- to late-1980s. Nooitgedagt, like Record, are now part of American Tool, the same conglomerate which swallowed Record, so manufacture in the Netherlands has now ceased and the name Nooitgedagt has all but disappeared. My recollection of the Nooitgedagt sliding bevel was that it was very heavily chromed but that otherwise the quality was so-so

Scrit

Well Pail, used to have one when I was over there and it was definitely chromed. Not all that heavy, though. Sorry to say I didn't rate their later tools

Scrit

oh shoot that's half my toolkit out the window :lol: :lol: :lol:

since i bought my bits cheap after the takeover, i have found them
decent but then i don't have your needs scrit.

one day i will figure how to properly set the wooden planes,
till then they are interesting boat anchors. :twisted:

paul :wink:

I use old Stanleys. I have a small Veritas but find the Stanleys easier to use one-handed. The blade doesn't move when tightening and I find the Veritas more finicky if you want the mechanism to lock the blade tightly. I don't know how much shipping would go for from the US but I paid less than $10 US each on Ebay for the three Stanleys that I have. I seem to recall seeing a modern Crown sliding bevel with a similar mechanism.

DSC02755_slidingbevelsq_26k.jpg

engineer one":cxn9913v said:
one day i will figure how to properly set the wooden planes, till then they are interesting boat anchors. :twisted:
Erm, yes.... except for the floating aspect of wooden planes... 8-[

Duckin' 'n' runnin', Alf :wink:

It's like everything else, Paul. They used to be a major toolmaker but by the 1980s they were in terminal decline and the later stuff wasn't really as nice as the stuff I used to see on flea markets when I lived over there. The later stuff was coated in thick drippy lacquer and the steel in the chisels just didn't seem as good - but then Stanley went the same way here in the 70s and 80s :cry:

Scrit

well maybe i've been lucky, since most of mine seem to be light
on the varnish, and i figure even c**p swedish steel is better than
some of the 70/80's english steel which often seemed to be like
cream cheese. :?

alf you're right of course, but then aren't floating anchors fun too???? :twisted:

I use old Stanleys. ..... I seem to recall seeing a modern Crown sliding bevel with a similar mechanism.

Frank, I have the Crown to which you are referring. It is indeed a copy - a good one - of the Stanley.

i figure even c**p swedish steel is better than
some of the 70/80's english steel which often seemed to be like
cream cheese.

Paul, I picked up a set of 8 new Nooitgedacht bevel edge chisels on eBay a few years ago for $30. There have been variable reports about the quality of the steel although they were touted on Badger Pond as the next best thing to sliced bread. My own seem excellent. They occasionally come up on eBay but now sell for about $150.

Here is a file photo when I was comparing their handles to Bergs'.

NooitgedachtandBerghandles.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

interesting derek, since i picked all mine up for less than £3each,
and have sold enough to get my money back, i am happy with
the product. :twisted:

i think you have to look for those stamped swedish steel,
and the lighter handles seems better than the dark, but
the woodies are definately fun to play with. :lol:

at the time of the sell off, i got a number of other metal tools
including a number of metal engineers squares, and a couple of
metal fixed mitre blocks, plus some decent calipers,so i can't
complain too much. sure got a decent hand tool kit for
less than 100 sterling which always works for me :twisted: :roll:

scooby":2g20lsiq said:
I like the look of the all metal Shinwa bevels with the locknut at the bottom of the handle. Any opinions on these?
I've got one - I bought it because I was tired of fiddling with screws or having a wingnut that was on the "wrong" side.

MikeW":2g20lsiq said:
I actually do not know anyone with a Shinwa sliding bevel
Well, you do now!

I recently has cause to use it and am most impressed, not only for the ease with which it locks, but also the rigidity of the lock when engaged - recommended. :)

Ray.

Hi Ray--now I do! Course, I meant personally. And I have picked them up in the hand. Like I mentioned, the lock works very well.

But like Frank, I have a few Stanleys with the thumb screw which work well. Crown does make two lines, one with a wingnut and one with the thumbscrew. Other than the finish--gobs of lacquer--they do work great one handed in many circumstances.

The size I find most use for making cabinets are the 6" ones. Though the 8" and 10" do get used often enough to keep them around.

And I will say this for Crown. I had wanted to make a few sliding bevels as gifts for the contractors that worked on our house when we remodeled. I looked in vain for the thumbscrew and special bolt--even to a source in India which makes them [if you want to buy them by the pallet full].

I wrote to Crown letting them know that I wanted to make a few sliding bevels for the above reason and asking if I could purchase 6 sets of the thumbscrew and bolt. They posted a dozen to me, including the blades, at no charge, asking only that I make a donation to the charity of my choice in return. Not certain had Stanley still been using that type of locking mechanism they would have been as generous. But Crown was. That will remain to me a top example of a good company.

Take care, Mike

Paul

Here's the Nooitgedagt sliding bevel I boight when I workrd in the Netherlands some 20+ years ago:

IMG_0977Nooitgedagt.jpg

as a point of comparison there are a couple of other sliding bevels here:

IMG_0977small.jpg

the one immediately to the left of the Nooitgedagt is a Stanley #18 sliding bevel of approximately the same size.

Scrit

Scrit, thats a nice collection :D

Is there any other manufacturers that make all metal bevels? I can't seem to find any, I did find a Stanley no.18 (like Scrit's) but at £28...nah.

Is there any other places apart from Axminster and Dieter Schmid, that sell the Shinwa? Just curious if it can be got cheaper :D

thanks,

I'm a little bit jealous Scrit :twisted:

Latest posts

Back