Sleevless sanding drums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinken

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for a PROPER :D sleevless sanding drum.

The type that is a drum that splits in half and allows you to add abrasive strip in and conect it all together and away you go. Not this type

singley_drums.jpg

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated, otherwise i gotta make one myself

Sorry not seen that type assume it goes in a bench grinder, looks an old picture probably been banned by HSE as they could be dangerous if they came apart

Jason

I've got the Delta BOSS sander, I wonder if I can fit one of these type drums to it? The sleeves cost a small fortune, and I have a lot of sandpaper I could use. Does anyone know if this could be done?

Will be watching this thread, either way I would be interested. Guess I could use the bench drill.......

Cheers

Neil

neilyweely":38l09r3s said:
I've got the Delta BOSS sander, I wonder if I can fit one of these type drums to it? The sleeves cost a small fortune, and I have a lot of sandpaper I could use. Does anyone know if this could be done?

only if you have your own shanks made up.

ok, so having shanks made up would require? My engineer pal? Is this likely to be cost effective?
Am thinking to sell the blo*dy thing, I really don't get the use from it I should. Shame really. I have never used it!! (tested once)

I am gonna look into the 'carroll sanders' and shanks. Then consider options. Machine mart sell replacements, but even they are expensive, so...

Thanks

Neil

I use a set of Axminster ones - the Carroll ones are much better but again more expensive.

Rod

Well i think i am going to try and get one made that is like my picture.

You can see why all the bobbin sanders use sleeves as company's are making a fortune out of replacements.

If its something you use a lot get an engineer to make you a good one and save a fortune on replacement bobbins

I have not got around to trying it yet, but in "Making Woodwork Aids and Devices" by Robert Wearing

He describes a useful & cheap system (assuming you have a lathe).

Get a lump of wood, spindle mount & turn to size.
Cover with double sided carpet tape
Cover that with sandpaper to suit
Sand away

One of those "why didn''t I think of that" ideas.

Get a lump of wood, spindle mount & turn to size.
Cover with double sided carpet tape
Cover that with sandpaper to suit
Sand away

Very good idea thanks for that, a roll of double sided tape and abrasive would be miles cheaper than replacement sleeves..

I think ill do that and cover it with hard rubber, and i suppose you would need to slightly overlap the abrasive in the right direction?

No I wouldn't overlap or you'll get a bump. I would cut it like you cut turf. i.e over lap it and cut through both pieces, leaving you with a seamless joint.

Back