UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent VOIP (voice over IP) software, latest version has support for webcams for video phonecalls using your computer. You can also buy SkypeOut credit in £10 lumps to enable you to call landlines (and mobiles, I think) which gives very cheap international calls. I use it to speak to my brother in Iceland 15min call with NTL cost about £9 - 45 min call with SkypeOut about £1. You'll need a microphone and speakers but a headset is better. You can also get VoIP phones that plug into the USB port of your comp. for about £15 that I'm told work well.
Just Google it, you'll get more info than I can give you (or be bothered to type anyway :wink: ).

Mark

Waka
SKYPE is a great way to make free telphone calls over the internet via your PC. Just download tha free software, give yourself an ID and then PC to PC calls are free anywhere in the world. By lodging 10 Euros you can also call any normal 'phone number for a miniscule amount of money. I use it a lot to the US even 0800 numbers and the 10 Euros lasts me about 6-8 months!
see ya soon!
martin

I don't have it or used it but my understanding is you load the software and as you are already on broadband you can call anyone in the world who has the same setup at no extra cost if you want to call someone on a landline then the bit from the internet interface to them has to be paid for usually prepaid in euros has other features like conference etc

I trialled VOIP phones at work - calls to other company VOIP phones were free,as long as on the same network as the computers (in my case,mainly Holland and Sweden)
International calls are about one tenth to one twentieth of the BT price.
Sound quality is very digital - somewhat quieter,with no background noise.

Andrew

I have the Logitech Headset/ Microphone,it connects to a USB port on my PC, I have Skype loaded but have only used it a couple of times, cost nothing as my brother has Skype also, we both have broadband, voice is very clear

Waka,

Plain Skype requires that the person you call also has it and is totally free. Skype-Out which you can buy for peanuts when you sign up, allows calls to regular phones (land lines or mobiles). Skype-In which costs about €30 for a year allows calls from anyone to a new telephone number that you can choose from a range of numbers around the world (eg London, New York, Sydney etc) this makes calling cheaper for people calling you who may live in those places. This service also has voicemail. These services are all integrated into your account if you get them.

Thanks for the info, now my daughter and family have moved to Singapore I'll go for it, anythings better than paying BT charges.

Mike W, Its now 8 more working Mondays.

Latest posts

Back