skilled brick layers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! =D> That is just truly awesome, a truly talented, skilled and practiced craftsman. I am in awe!

Thanks for posting, I'm only disappointed we didn't get to see the completed structure,

Not sure whether that's impressive or not, how's he making them stick? Must be super sticky mix. No pointing on the outside from the look of it either, unless someone goes up after it's finished.

hi i was thinking the same grayorm, what mix is he using, a normal sand cement mix that wet would not hold anything up! any idea's.

Mix seems to be 4:1...4 lime to 1 cement. Must be v sticky. I'm guessing the roof is "pointed" on the exterior when it is externally plastered

Al

Many thanks for posting that. I'd read about thin shell vaults but never thought to look on youtube to see how they are built.

Those guys' skill is a real pleasure to watch. And it's such an efficient system - no formwork, no scaffolding, apparently no measurement - and quick too!

I often think I could probably have a go at that when I see various craftsmen doing their thing...but that bricklayer is amazing! That video goes alongside the disabled guy making stools using his feet and the Moroccan bloke making chess pieces with a bow lathe in my vault of awesome!

Superb.

Reminds me of that grand design where they built an arched house with just layers of tiles and plaster forming the main arch. I think if they had employed that chap then the build would only of taken a week or so.

¡Estupendo! He makes it look so easy.

Reminds me of that grand design where they built an arched house with just layers of tiles and plaster forming the main arch.

Yes, but didn't the one on Grand Designs partly collapse during construction! :oops:

More here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jJh5xM6zQ.

My guess is that the bricks are very dry, and there's a small amount of sharp sand involved (with the lime and cement). I think the initial stick is suction into the dry brick, then it sets pretty fast. Obviously, once the mortar's gone off it's really strong, just like any arch. The herringbone at the intersection reminds me of Brunelleschi's Duomo in Florence - apparently he changed the proportion of standard housebricks, so that the herringbone would give extra strength.

What skill though! One of those videos has two brickies working as a team, which is even more impressive. You don't see the bloke mixing, but I'd guess that's quite a skill too - it looks like it has to be exactly right, and a lot runnier than our normal mixes.

Does anyone know if the row of bats is decorative, or for some structural reason?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Thtr3wAMAE These guys are using a former though (or at least some rebar to give them a nice curve to work to) and what looks like longer and thinner bricks.

If you watch one brickie closely, there isn't one wasted movement with the trowel.

Dead impressive.

E.

That really is quite impressive, bet it's a pipper when they reach the middle!

I find interesting watching the rest of the worlds construction techniques, we really are stuck in our ways here.

At one point he was laying bricks faster than I could chew and swallow a mouth full of cereal :lol: very interesting, thanks for sharing ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back