Skew practice top.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am still messing with my new camera and made a quick vid. on how I use the Skew chisel, when I make spinning thingies.

Comments/critique always welcome, but I am a sensetive soul, so please be gentle with me.............. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpoQemuMOs

Leo

That inspired me to go to the shed and give it a try myself, 2 large catches later and I just made an egg cup out of what was left, these skews are tricky things to master. You make it look so easy

Thanks for the replies guys, it always helps to get others viewpoints, especially living 2,000 miles from the UK.

I am probably going to TRY to make a better, explanatory vid. on Skew use, but for now, the main point is a strong fulcrum on the toolrest and the angles are very important too, to avoid those horrible catches, which I still get now and again and again..

Glad you like it.

Leo

Leo

I was scared of the skew but once I figured out how to use it it's a great tool to use. Creates a nice finish.

What pens are you using for the colour?

My observations are that you could make that object much quicker and less wasteful between centres and using a small spindle gouge. He is doing too many cuts when one will do, scraping a lot and is a little nervous and tense but is well on the way and only with practice do you get to master the skew but otherwise a good effort.

gnu":3d8bga1l said:
My observations are that you could make that object much quicker and less wasteful between centres and using a small spindle gouge. He is doing too many cuts when one will do, scraping a lot and is a little nervous and tense but is well on the way and only with practice do you get to master the skew but otherwise a good effort.

I am at a slight loss to understand your reference to "scraping a lot"; with the exception of the first 20 seconds within which there are 3 brief removals of existing finish on the piece, I can't see any scraping - no doubt I am missing something (I usually do) but a reference to a particular action (time) in the video would help me.

jumps":3thfm1d8 said:
gnu":3thfm1d8 said:

I am at a slight loss to understand your reference to "scraping a lot"; with the exception of the first 20 seconds within which there are 3 brief removals of existing finish on the piece, I can't see any scraping - no doubt I am missing something (I usually do) but a reference to a particular action (time) in the video would help me.

I don't get the impression that Leo is in any way a 'new' turner who needs to be told that his work is 'a good effort' most of us would be extremely pleased to be able to work that quickly and efficiently. Given that flat nature of the piece, the skew or parting tool would have been my choice too. I would have needed to sand more though :mrgreen:

I understand the comments, but need to point out that this was solely for SKEW practice, other tools would have been easier to use, especially because the wood was very hard.

It did take more cuts than is usual, ie. peeling cuts, but again, due to a dense, dry wood, it was going to catch if I just cut all the way, in one go. I could have just gone slower to avoid this, but took more peeling cuts instead. I also would normally have lowered the tool rest for the thinner areas, but as said, it was more like a quick, show off or demo. We all learn every day, usually from someone else, so Thanx for the feedback, so far, it all helps....good,bad, or indifferent.

Leo

Extremely useful to me, a novice and struggling with the skew... but I'll keep at it. Video really good - not a criticism at all but if you ever do another can you tell me more about what you are doing and why - bit more talk-through. But really good, many thanks

Glad it's useful to you !!
Living abroad, I have had to learn everything from the internet and vids. like the one I posted, that's why I do it, if it helps one person, I am very happy.
I do need to work on my vids. but for a free vid. it's OK. IMHO.

Practice, practice and then when you've practised until you drop, practice again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leo

Thank you for the video. It inspired me to sharpen up the underused skew chisels and have a go. I think I have cracked it and turned a couple springetts pentagon shapes using just the skew.

The only problem encountered is a slight oscillation which resulted in an uneven round. I think this is due to running the lathe too fast and / or the skew not being as sharp as it could be.

Getting there slowly......but getting there.

Latest posts

Back