Skeleton clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babylon355

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw a picture of this in an old woodturning mag and thought I'd have a crack.
I used ash with a bit of Chestnut ebonising spray and Padauk.
The ash was sprayed then had a couple of coats of Chestnut Microcrystaline Wax and the Padauk had some sealer on it the given a going through the grades with the Chestnut polishing system.
Total cost £30 for the clock and wood and the usual sanding discs, sealer etc.
The hardest part was getting it all glued up together and keeping it square as my tenons that went into the "feet" were far too loose.

P1250013.jpg

P1250014.jpg

Thanks a lot. I'm pleased with it but I'm sure if I did another one it would be better.
If you do fancy a go, I suggest making the pieces for the "feet" a bit thicker so the tenon has a bit more depth to fit into, I ended up having to put a couple of screws up into the uprights to make them more secure :oops: ..
I also forgot to put a small cove into the face ring similar to the two on the feet :oops: ....
I also hopefully wouldn't need to ruin three uprights trying to get the profile a good copy of the other one :oops: ......

Lke that a lot. To be hyper-nit-picking, the "feet" are possibly a bit heavy relative to the light and airy feel of the rest, but can see why you need a bit of mass there.

Great clock.I have turned several skeleton wall clocks which the purchasers were pleased with ,but I really like your mantel design looks like I shall have to order another clock and have a go.
Dave..

Thanks, I'm glad I had a go as it would have otherwise been another "one of those things I'll get round to one day :roll: "
My little boy calls it the R2D2 clock

I doubt it. I spent hours on it and bought it into the house as the wife was watching David Walliams' swim down the Thames last week.
Close your eyes I said as I placed it with pride on the mantle piece. Ok you can open them now.
After approximately 0.35 of a second later she was back watching the telly. :shock:
It's now back in the garage, on a shelf, gathering dust :cry:

Hi Dave, I get them from a top bloke by the name of George who sells a lot of stuff on the 'bay as "thetrophyengraver."
His mobile number is 07527 905182 if you want to contact him directly and save a few quid. I don't know how much the face is as I haven't actually paid for it yet - we have a fairly good agreement where he sends me the stuff as and when I need it and I settle up when I see him up the club when he comes to sell his stuff. He's a top bloke, very knowledgeable and won't rip you off. I very much recommend him - as you can probably tell!

worsley947":2m3ywadi said:
Hi, can I ask where you purchased the clock face from
Many thanks
Dave

Back