Sizing an Axe handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old hand axe that I intend to restore and part of the restoration will incluse a new handle
How do you work out what handle to buy ? also are axe handles made of hickory ?
Thanks

Handles are hickory in the US and I'm sure it's exported to the UK.

Typically, you buy a factory made handle close to what you want to end up with, hang the axe on it (trimming the tenon and fitting it to the head and wedging it) and adjust the handle shape a little to be what you want (sand, rasp, file, spokeshave, whatever).

Hickory doesn't grow here. We use ash. Handles, cart shafts ... anything that needs a bit of spring ...

It's exported, though. I've seen it on English tools (new) and on a lot of chinese tools.

Ash would also be fine but a little less durable.

Little tip. Once you get it handled and you like it, trace and cut a pattern out on a sheet of thin plywood etc. Then you can make a new one yourself next time it breaks.

Pete

The hole in the head will tell you what size a shaft to fit. A good Hardware shop will have a selection. My local one does.
Look for a hickory shaft that the head end is about 1/4" bigger to your head.
Then just dress down to fit.

I ahve fitted a shorter shaft to a bigger head. Makes cutting kindling/starter wood easy.

Always double wedge an axe head.

This is the axe , The length is 12" overall
and the distance from the front of the blade to the rear Ball hammer part is 6"
On the ebay link provided lower down is a 12" hickory handle at £7.99 or a 14" at £8.49 with free P&P
May go for the 14"
Thanks for your advice people :) 👍

Looks like it’s been forged out from a ball pein, if the eye is more oval than teardrop then a hammer handle will fit better, axe handles will take a lot of shaping to make fit a hammer eye

as others have said, that seems to be styled more as a hammer than a hatchet, can you take a photo from the top showing the shape of the eye?

Looks like it’s been forged out from a ball pein, if the eye is more oval than teardrop then a hammer handle will fit better, axe handles will take a lot of shaping to make fit a hammer eye
A lot were after WW2. Plenty of hammers around. But not many roofers hammers.

Most of mine were hand forged.

Some had a single bevel on the blade. Great to split withies.
Most were so badly ground it was hard to say if it was one or two sided bevel.

But all were made from fantastic metal.

Latest posts

Back