size of heater for bathroom...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Had a visit from a bro-in-law this afternoon who tells me they're going to have they're bathroom redone...

Baring in mind they're all electric, they said they're going for a 1kw Dimplex APL100 wall heater.... http://www.snhtradecentre.co.uk/fires-f ... tAodL0EARg

The bathroom is approx 3 mtr sq (or 33 sq ft in old money), so not very big.

They've been told "although it wont be 'sauna' warm, it will still be 'nice' and warm...."

I just feel that still sounds a bit under powered to me.... any thoughts..?

Nick

oooh..... actually edit....
my missus has just come up with an idea... :idea: :idea:
she said "as the airing cupboard is also on the landing, how about cutting a small hole in the top of the wall panel on the bathroom side so that so warm air is able to help trickle through and warm the bathroom..??"

Thoughts...?

Whilst there are several factors to take into consideration, (No of outside walls, insulation, size of windows) I would suggest that 1Kw is insufficient, the heat up time and recovery if somebody leaves door open, will be excessive. There are calculators online where you can input specifics of size and house construction and get a fair indication of size.

Martin

I don't like the sound of cutting an opening so the moisture laden air from the bathroom can get into the nice dry airing cupboard.

Do you mean the room is 3m x 3m or 1m x 3m ?

if the latter and the heater is on 24/7 and on a thermostat i would have thought that 1kw is enough
if the former depends on heat loss and better be quick on opening door etc

Ian

mjcann":t7mg81fp said:
Whilst there are several factors to take into consideration, (No of outside walls, insulation, size of windows) I would suggest that 1Kw is insufficient, the heat up time and recovery if somebody leaves door open, will be excessive. There are calculators online where you can input specifics of size and house construction and get a fair indication of size.

Martin

As above, Take out the guesswork! Rodders

@Ian.... yes of course you're right =D>

I managed to get my Mtrs Sq and Sq Mtrs mixed up.... #-o

Rooms approx 2mtr x 2mtr but you have to take out the airing cupboard (accessed from landing) plus a couple of other boxed in areas too. so in all a smidge under 3 Sq Mtrs

I also tried one of them fangled online heater calculator thingys.... entered all the correct info and it came back with... 400w :shock: :shock: they avin a larff.....

I also thought that if left on 24/7 then maybe a 1kw jobby would do... just about. But toasty warm for when you've just gout the shower..? i dont think so [-(

In feet for volume. very rough.

6.5ft X 6.5 ft X 8ft = 338cu ft.

338 X 8 Btu's per cu ft. = 2704 Btu's

2704 BTU = 0.792 kW

Never had a room that was not comfortable using 7 Btu's per cu ft. in the days before we new all about thermal losses, 8 should add a bit extra.

All depends on which generation you are and what you have grown up used to I suppose.

growing up in Rotherham in the 60's I have vivid memories of scratching the frosty patterns off the inside of my bedroom window in the mornings. See your breath.....you could snap it off!

It dosen't really matter how over big it is if it is on a proper air thermostat. one that is independant of the heater and is measuring the air temperature of the room.

because roughly in my head

a 1Kw heater would be on 70 % of the time
a 10 KW heater would be one for 7% of the time.

Random Orbital Bob":3hnk28yg said:
growing up in Rotherham in the 60's I have vivid memories of scratching the frosty patterns off the inside of my bedroom window in the mornings. See your breath.....you could snap it off!

Lxury, sheer Luxury,
When I were young, I grew up in a cardboard box by roadside.............
Rodders

Hi NikNak
Our bathroom is around 3m2 and we've got a Dimplex fan heater that operates at 1kW or 2kW. We started off using it at 2kW but found it was perfectly adequate at 1kW. At 2kW it quickly built up to temperature and then the thermostat cut in and it turned off whereas at 1kW it stays on all the time which is very nice to stand under when you get out of the shower :lol:

Regards Keith

Latest posts

Back