sip sliding carriage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know if the sip sliding carriage will fit the Fox F36-530 10'' cabinet saw? The fox is as far as I know a clone of the SIP or vice versa. I have never got on with the sliding carriage that comes with the Fox and rarely use it, perhaps that is my problem.

Cheers
Con

Is your sliding carriage like this one:

!Bb0QZVgBWk~$(KGrHqUH-CUEqvgeUTkVBK)0tbsE7g~~_12.JPG

I guess the SIP one would fit, it has a couple of L bracket which bolt onto extra mini table which in turn bolts onto the saw.

Whats wrong with the fox one, they look pretty similar but the rail on the fox one looks a bit naff.

Hi Chems

Yes thats the one! The rails themselves are seriously heavy, one person can just manage the weight of each one when attaching it to the saw body. The sliding table is also cast iron. The set up is not very user friendly and takes up a lot of room, I believe with the SIP you can easily lift the table off when not in use which would suit me better. Also would I be right that you can also move the rail itself forward or backward?

Cheers
Con

Yes to both of those, little lever on the bottom of the table and you can just roll it off the end and its only ally so not very heavy. 4 Wing nuts and you can slide the rail along to give either more infeed or outfeed or just to get it out of the way. I believe the SIP kit comes with the extra mini table so it has all you need.

Con Owen":2ao1jktx said:
Hi Chems

Yes thats the one! The rails themselves are seriously heavy, one person can just manage the weight of each one when attaching it to the saw body. The sliding table is also cast iron. The set up is not very user friendly and takes up a lot of room, I believe with the SIP you can easily lift the table off when not in use which would suit me better. Also would I be right that you can also move the rail itself forward or backward?

Cheers
Con

Con as you can see the fitting points (and rails) of these two sliding tables are completely different, so to make the SIP fit on the FOX you are going to need to do a lot of work. I'm sure that if you know what you are doing anything is possible, but remember that it is going to cost you £365 (unless you can get secondhand) to buy the sliding table. You maybe better off putting the feelers out to see how much you get for the FOX and if you get a good price, sell it and buy a new (or even secondhand) SIP.
IMHO if you want a SIP that much, paying a few pounds more to save you converting the FOX, which may or may not work as good as it should, is well worth it.

I seem to remember someone converting a table saw a few years ago, but I think that was a Axminster sliding table to a SIP.

01495.jpg

While on the subject of the Axminster, it looks like their sliding table is in between the FOX and the SIP so you might want to look at that one too, because its £200 cheaper then the SIP with a sliding table and rear extension. But try before you buy because your do not want to end up in the same postion as you are with the FOX.
By the way what is really wrong with it?

200387_xl.jpg

!Bb0QZVgBWk~$(KGrHqUH-CUEqvgeUTkVBK)0tbsE7g~~_12.JPG

Cheers

Mike

Hi Chems

Thanks for the more detailed photo. I will have a further look at my saw and assess whether it is a viable proposition to update with the SIP carriage.

Hi Mike

I see where your coming from. However at the moment Rutlands are doing 10% off at the moment (up to 6th April) plus free delivery, making the sliding carriage with table 312 GBP. That is what prompted this post and for me to give consideration to whether it is viable to change my existing table. The Fox saw itself is very, very good indeed. I have no complaints at all. It is only let down by the sliding carriage. It is extremely heavy, not easy to adjust and lacks from what I see the refinements of the SIP/Scheppach one, which would allow me much more room when it is not required. When I purchased the Fox it was on special and IIRC was the same price as what I could get the SIP for without a sliding carriage, so it was a no brainer.

Cheers
Con

I'll get a few more photos later on an put them up.

I found with the SIP carriage the adjustment to get the rail parallel and at the same height was very rubbish, so rubbish that I broke it. Which was brilliant as I just used to washers as one and to make sure it was parallel and set the height by lifting the rail and locking it in place with the big plastic hand wing nuts. Which is much better as it only takes a second to do after moving the rail.

Con Owen":2nem1aoq said:
Hi Chems

Thanks for the more detailed photo. I will have a further look at my saw and assess whether it is a viable proposition to update with the SIP carriage.

Hi Mike

I see where your coming from. However at the moment Rutlands are doing 10% off at the moment (up to 6th April) plus free delivery, making the sliding carriage with table 312 GBP. That is what prompted this post and for me to give consideration to whether it is viable to change my existing table. The Fox saw itself is very, very good indeed. I have no complaints at all. It is only let down by the sliding carriage. It is extremely heavy, not easy to adjust and lacks from what I see the refinements of the SIP/Scheppach one, which would allow me much more room when it is not required. When I purchased the Fox it was on special and IIRC was the same price as what I could get the SIP for without a sliding carriage, so it was a no brainer.

Cheers
Con

Hi Con

Ah yes, now I am on the same page as you. In that case you want to get as many pictures from Chem that he can take and make sure that you will be able to fit the SIP to yours before you spend your money. I would take photo's of mine but it's the 12" model and I am not sure that it is 100% the same.
Chem seems to think that it should not be a problem and I am sure that he knows what he is taking about.

As I said someone converted an Axminster sliding table to fit a SIP and as the Axminster table is sort of halfway between the SIP and the FOX, it should be do-able. Come to think of it I seem to remember that it was Tony the moderator who sold it, but I cannot remember to who. Drop Tony a pm and you maybe able to pick the members mind.

You only have 24 hours before the 10% discount is over so you do not have long, but I am 100% positive that even if you buy the sliding table and then find that you cannot fit it, you will be able to send it to another forum member (Martin/Head Clansman for instance.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Chems/Mike

I have had another look at my saw and it would appear that the L shaped brackets on mine are in the same position as the SIP, they only differ from yours in their depth which is of course necessary to accommodate the second rail of the carriage. The cast iron table also has the same 4 holes to accommodate an additional side table that yours appear to have. I will speak to SIP/Fox on Monday to see what they say. Thanks for taking all the photos, they have been very helpful.

Cheers
Con

Con Owen":301ob222 said:
Hi Chems/Mike

I have had another look at my saw and it would appear that the L shaped brackets on mine are in the same position as the SIP, they only differ from yours in their depth which is of course necessary to accommodate the second rail of the carriage. The cast iron table also has the same 4 holes to accommodate an additional side table that yours appear to have. I will speak to SIP/Fox on Monday to see what they say. Thanks for taking all the photos, they have been very helpful.

Cheers
Con

Hi Con, things seem to be looking good :D Did you get two side extensions with you saw? If so when you fit the sliding table you can do like many of us have done and fit them both on the right hand side, which gives you plenty of room to cut large boards. Just remember to fit at least one of the legs before you do otherwise the weight will tip the saw over. :wink:

Good luck

Mike

It all sounds like a waste to me.

Stick the fox on ebay and by an axy. don't mess about with the worst of both worlds.

selly":2x4kfdql said:
It all sounds like a waste to me.

Stick the fox on ebay and by an axy. don't mess about with the worst of both worlds.

Here we go. Every now and again someone pops their head up slaging all the clones off. The only thing IMHO better about the Axminster is it's look's and the price, but that's it. New members can read posts like that and be misled by the bias towards the Axminster. If you have not used the others you cannot say that they are inferior to the Axminster. And WHY is trying to improve your tools a waste of time.

Cheers

Mike

Your an odd one aren't you? Do a search of all my posts and have a look where I've slagged things off. And then come back and apologise for your rudeness.

I'm not biased towards axminster at all. I buy from anywhere, it matters not much - they are all from china. All these things are much of a muchness.

I just caution against spending too much on a sliding table from one make and fitting it to another when the mans money may be better served by buying something that was designed for each other.

He could sell the fox on ebay get some decent money to put towards something that is the right fit and then give himself something that is probably easier to sell on again afterwards. The axminster is probably cheaper but fundamentally there're all the same.

Put your dummy back in now little boy.

selly":1l3bznjh said:
Your an odd one aren't you? Do a search of all my posts and have a look where I've slagged things off. And then come back and apologise for your rudeness.

I'm not biased towards axminster at all. I buy from anywhere, it matters not much - they are all from china. All these things are much of a muchness.

I just caution against spending too much on a sliding table from one make and fitting it to another when the mans money may be better served by buying something that was designed for each other.

He could sell the fox on ebay get some decent money to put towards something that is the right fit and then give himself something that is probably easier to sell on again afterwards. The axminster is probably cheaper but fundamentally there're all the same.

The only thing I will apologize for is I meant to say every now and again someone pops their head up, (and not you pop your head up). It was the don't mess about with the worst of both worlds I was pointing to.

Now if you had read the thread you would have seen that I had said almost the same as you. In other words sell the Fox and buy a SIP. And his reply was the 10% Rutlands offer runs out tomorrow, which is understandable.

I have now corrected my mistake in the other post. And you have received my apology

Cheers

Mike

Only partially relevant here. But I remember I had to have a saw with a sliding carriage, and it was down to the SIP and Axi for me. I ended up with the Axi. Now, I wish I didn't have the damn sliding carriage - its just too big for a single garage (workshop!). Keep bumping into the dam rail and as for the table itself ....
Instead I have a chop saw and also a nice incra thingy to cross cut on the table saw.

Going to store the table and rail somewhere eventually but need to find space to store it first!

I had a Scheppach 2500 with sliding table, lots of adjustment on it so it could be set up very accurately. Very smooth action as well.
Problem was, the load it would take. Not so much the weight, more the imbalance of pieces hung over the end of the table...
To be honest it was not much use as a sliding table unless you were cutting pieces that were no more than a third bigger than the sliding table itself. Not even a hold down clamp on the fence.
Tried cutting 8 x 4 sheets on it, what a nightmare.
I cant imagine any of the other sliding tables covered here so far would perform much differently, indeed some are cloned from the Scheppach anyway and some look decidedly frailer.
Most of the work undertaken on this size and type of sliding carriage/table could be undertaken satisfactorily on any decent SCMS or RAS.
I also used a Fox machine at work, that had a better arrangement for the sliding table ( Cast bed on 2 steel rods)than the Scheppach although it was subject to flexing under load, thus giving inaccuracies.
In the end got fed up with the limitations of the Scheppach even though I really liked other aspects of the machine and despite being a great fan of the brand I sold it on to someone who would be using it for smaller scale work.
Before it went it languished in a corner of the workshop for a year making way for its replacement, which would certainly not be any use to anyone working from a converted garage or small workshop , needing a 3M X 3M footprint just to sit in.
Now I can comfortably rip or crosscut an 8x4 sheet, even use the scoring blade to precut veneered and laminated stock, have some decent Acme thread height and tilt adjustments for quick and smooth adjusting, a good size cast bed with a left hand extension wing and a substantial steel frame and cabinet to sit it square and solid on the floor.
The sliding table is a heavy square steel tube construction, with a fore or aft fence position, heavy lock down clamp on the fence, micro adjust flip stop, roller barrel at the end for feeding sheet stock on, heavy telescopic outrigger arm and rolling table beam to roll with the table which can travel well over 1.2m either side of the blade.
The rip fence is also a great improvement on the Scheppach, which would go out of line with the slightest knock
All in all I am more impressed with this machine than I was with the Scheppach when I first bought it new.
I am aware of all the arguments and counter arguments about clones, and find it all rather pointless, most if not all machines on this market are clones and the same machines are being bought with different liveries and attachments so trying to define them as different "breeds" is folly.
The only thing that makes one more popular than another is successful marketing, not a superior machine.

I am very satisfied with my Fox F36-540, its a keeper.
It has a proper sliding table..

woof":1fwyshqm said:
Instead I have a chop saw and also a nice incra thingy to cross cut on the table saw.

Going to store the table and rail somewhere eventually but need to find space to store it first!

Having got a fairly large area I even find that with the sliding table. I think an Incra as you say would be a perfect solution as I could do a lot of my work with a good mitre gauge, I could defiantly get buy and to be honest I will still get one in the future as a replacement mitre gauge for the one supplied. But I wouldn't get rid of a carriage if I had the space its so good for panel work.

selly":122wb4wt said:

as far as i can see geez you are the one whos dummy is rolling arround on the floor , and if anyone should apologise its you to mike not the otherway arround.

if as you now say the saws are fundamentally the same (which is kinda the point of this whole thread :roll:) what would he possibly gain by selling one and buying another :duno:

Back