SIP 12 INCH TABLE SAW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the end I went for the SIP 12 inch model because after seeing it in action and getting a deal where it cost me a £1,000 for the saw, 2 side extension tables, sliding table, rear extension, large trolley wheel kit, and free delivery it was just to good a deal to pass up.

When I put it together today I will take a few photos and then do a review asap.

One thing I know i will like about it, is the sliding table because it is exactly the same as the Scheppach TS2500/TS2500ci.

Cheers

Mike

Brian

I would be very surprised if the SIP rotates at 3500 rpm, because it uses an induction motor, and such motors have a theoretical top speed of either 3000 or 1500 rpm, dependent on whether they are 2 or 4-pole machines. In practice the speed will be somewhat less, due to bearing and air resistance.

These figures are of course for 50Hz mains supply, in the US the speed will be 60/50 times faster or 3600rpm. Come to think of it, perhaps that what was being quoted - 3600 minus a bit for drag. But not in the UK.

Colin S

Sonic":2w4vaz6q said:
Brian

I would be very surprised if the SIP rotates at 3500 rpm, because it uses an induction motor, and such motors have a theoretical top speed of either 3000 or 1500 rpm, dependent on whether they are 2 or 4-pole machines. In practice the speed will be somewhat less, due to bearing and air resistance.

These figures are of course for 50Hz mains supply, in the US the speed will be 60/50 times faster or 3600rpm. Come to think of it, perhaps that what was being quoted - 3600 minus a bit for drag. But not in the UK.

Colin S
Is it not a belt drive? so the speed of the blade is down to pulley sizes not the motor speed. :?

Lord Nibbo, from memory I do belive you are right, it may well be a belt driven system.

Mike C, do please post a piccy or two and definatly do a write up please. Does the sliding table take up much room? On some makes it is an arm the swings, so when not being used it takes up less space, but I note on the SIP it's a long fixed rail, which presumably takes up room in a confined space.

Just as a side issue, I've just taken delivery of the SIP 1" morticer. I went for the SIP over other makes like Darper/sheppach due to the larger toothed wheel on the lever arm. I'll do a write up later for anyone whos interested.

mark

So how important is the speed of the blade?

My current saw, a Nu-tool direct drive machine, I understand has a speed of 4500 (according to diy tools dot co dot uk). So if I buy a machine with a lower speed, what difference will I notice in using it?

I know it should be smoother because of being belt driven, and it should be a lot more accurate than my current saw, but blade speed...?

Lord Nibbo rightly states that the speed of the blade is down to pulley sizes not the motor speed, but surely we are talking about the speed of the blade as supplied when new. The manufacturer will fit pulleys appropriate for the tool in question.

regards

Brian

well, theorectically the faster the spin the faster the cut. However we also have to take into account torque, tooth speed, blade width, sharpness of tooth etc etc. Personally I wouldn't get too hung up, on the speed. I would sooner have a more powerful motor with much more torque to assist with larger, wetter or courser timber.

just my tuppence worth :wink:

mark

les chicken,

The SIP 10" is definitely a belt driven blade.

So is the 12", with a 4hp induction motor.

Mark,

Mike C, do please post a piccy or two and definatly do a write up please. Does the sliding table take up much room? On some makes it is an arm the swings, so when not being used it takes up less space, but I note on the SIP it's a long fixed rail, which presumably takes up room in a confined space.

Mark the sliding table is the same as the Scheppach TS2500CI/TS2500, which as you say rides on a rail, but when not in use, it is a simple matter of lifting it off the rail (no bolts) and storing it.
On the other hand if space is at a premium the 12" model is not for you.

I will get some pic's asap

Cheers

Mike

I am afraid I must have had my brain in neutral - of couse the blade is driven by a belt - Doh ! (I've seen the bl**dy thing when I put it together !)

I'll just lurk quietly.

So you guys with the SIP. Do you rate it? I got the SIP benchtop planer and was impressed with the quality for the price. Are their saws the same?

Jon

jyates":167eo314 said:
So you guys with the SIP. Do you rate it? I got the SIP benchtop planer and was impressed with the quality for the price. Are their saws the same?

Jon

I'll put it like this, I'm not contemplating upgrading to anything else, it does the job more than adequately. :)

jon,

Because I have been busy elsewhere I am still putting mine together and so I cannot say much at the moment, but what I will say is, it is very well made, very well packed, and so very, very heavy, and because of its weight, it will be rock steady when in use.

When fitting some of the parts you do need a second pair of hands. For instance it comes with 2 cast iron side extensions and because of their weight you have no chance of bolting them on by yourself.
Sadly because I bought the sliding table I cannot use the left hand side extension.

So that you can bolt the stand on, the saw comes inverted in its plywood packing case, and so you also need help uprighting this.

Not much information I know, but as I have said I will do a full review when I am finished.

Cheers

Mike

On the smaller saw the extensions can both be bolted to rhs. with a adjustable support leg that comes in the sliding table kit to make a large table area.

Old,

On the smaller saw the extensions can both be bolted to rhs. with a adjustable support leg that comes in the sliding table kit to make a large table area.

Thanks Old, I did get 2 legs with the sliding table but they are for the long rail that the sliding table runs on. I also got another 2 legs with the side extensions, which are for the left hand side.
It does not mention anything about fitting the 2 extensions to the left side in the manual, but if i drilled a few holes in the front of the other extension there would be nothing to stop me fitting it.
The only problem is would there be too much weight on that side, or will the 2 legs be enough to hold them?
Can anyone see any problems with this?

By the way I have just noticed that there is no mention of the legs what so ever in the manual. Isn't that just typical of these manuals.

Once again thanks Old.

Cheers

Mike

Just noticed page 70 in november 2006 The Woodworker review of SIP 12" with pictures shows large table set up.

Thanks Old, I have got that issue. doesn't the side extension look big, I wonder if that is both of them fitted to the left hand side, or just the angle of the picture?

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back