SIP 12 INCH TABLE SAW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in line for a Xcalibur 806, but after reading this months issue of The Woodworker I am seriously thinking about changing my mind.

In it Roger Berwick tested the new SIP 12 table saw (which he own's after up grading from the 10 inch model) and according to him it is a very good machine.

The 10 inch saw is the very same Fox that Sawdust, Stoday and a few other members bought when Rutlands reduced their price for a short while a few weeks ago, and it seems that both they and other SIP owners are very happy with.
Can any SIP, FOX, and Axminster Preform clone owners let me know if this is the case, and maybe any good and bad points about the saw?
What size mitre slot does it have?

The thing that really has me tempted is for just £100 more (Xcaliber 806 is £980 and SIP is £1099 with optional parts) you get a 12 inch saw (806 10"), large cast iron rear and side extention tables, 4 inch depth of cut at 90 degrees,rip up to 52 inches against the fence, a wheel kit with a full size jacking handle, 3 years warranty, and the sliding table has support legs at both the front and rear.

There is no doubt that the Xcalibur is a great saw and one is coming my way, but for the money the SIP is a whole lot of saw and I am very tempted to buy that instead.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers

Mike

What about the guy's who bought the Fox from Rutlands are you happy with the saw? Are there any bad points/could be better area's?

I seem to remember a few years ago when the cheaper cast iron saws started coming onto the market, some members made comments about the lower grade cast iron used on these saws. Is this still the case,or more to the point is this the case with the saws I have mentioned, and how would you know if any particular saw was made of it?

I have done a search but I cannot find the post I am talking about.

Cheers

Mike

I have had a SIP 10" CI saw for more than 2 years. I am very pleased with it - it is very quiet and delivers accurate clean cuts. The fence is rigid when clamped, although the "micro adjuster" is pretty useless - I don't even bother with it. I don't have the sliding table or the the split fence (not available when I bought the saw) but I use a home-made sled for panel cutting.

Colin S

I had use of the SIP 10" saw for about 6 months. It was a really nice saw, well priced compared to the opposition. My biggest complaint has now apparetly been rectifeid on the 12" version. On the 10" the side panels were a pain to get off for cleaning and maintainance and the silly red palsticsurround to the blade is now ally, so that should be better too. (I do note though that they have still made it a tad thinner then the table bed so it still needs a shim under it.)

The saw was abused by various people and poorly looked after in damp conditions, yet there wasn't (and as far as I'm aware 18months later still hasn't) been any problems whatsoever with it.

Like the last person, the sliding bed wasn't available at the time so i can't comment on that.

On the whole, I would willingly put the 12" version near or at the top of the list especially for the price they are asking, if I were currently looking to upgrade.

mark

Hi there,

I have been following this thread now, however I must be blind or stupid (probably both according to SWMBO :wink: ) but I cannot find any 12" SIP table saw except for contractors saws and not a cabinet/panel type. Where am I going wrong I keep missing it?

Can anyone assist me and place a link to an example?

Cheers.

Thanks very much guys your impute is very much appreciated.

BrianD,

Hi there,

I have been following this thread now, however I must be blind or stupid (probably both according to SWMBO ) but I cannot find any 12" SIP table saw except for contractors saws and not a cabinet/panel type. Where am I going wrong I keep missing it?

Can anyone assist me and place a link to an example?

Cheers.

No Brian, your not blind or stupid, because I too cannot find any mention on it, even on Google. In fact the only reason I know that it is on the market, is though the Woodworker review.
Their website is under construction, so I think that I will contact them by phone tomorrow and ask them for a catalogue.

Once again thank you for your impute. I'm beginning to think that their can't be many members who know or have a view on the SIP/FOX/PEFORM/ or ITECH table saw's.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, one reason for lack of response may be that these saws have only been on sale for about 15months (Itech even less I think) at the most and are fairly large machines, so there will be a limited experience of these. Like you I rather suspect they are basically the same model rebadged though I think as I've previously stated that the perform is slightly differnt.

mark

Mike

Have not replied to your post re- 12" SIP saw as I have no knowledge of it. But I have replied to many posts for the 10" cast iron joby that I have, I am more than satisfied with it as my posts have shown.

Les

les chicken,

Mike

Have not replied to your post re- 12" SIP saw as I have no knowledge of it. But I have replied to many posts for the 10" cast iron joby that I have, I am more than satisfied with it as my posts have shown.

Les

Pecker

Mike, one reason for lack of response may be that these saws have only been on sale for about 15months (Itech even less I think) at the most and are fairly large machines, so there will be a limited experience of these. Like you I rather suspect they are basically the same model rebadged though I think as I've previously stated that the perform is slightly differnt.

mark

Thanks Guys,

Thats the impression that I got, and it's one of the reasons I can't make up my mind whether to buy one or not. Lets face it if the members of this forum do not know much about these saws and even less own one, then I am not going to have much luck else where.

Thanks to you both.

Cheers

Mike

I think that SIP's website is not as good as their table saw ! When I was originally looking for my 10", it seemed to be a long time before it appeared on their site. Incidentally, I bought my 10" when they were still quite new, and it had a metal insert (not plastic) from day 1.

Colin S

Colin, how have you found your saw? Is there anything that you would change?

Did you get any of the extension table's with it, if so what are these like?

The guy who tested the 12 inch use's his in conection with his business. Do you think that the 10 inch model could be used day in and day out?

Thanks for your reply.

Mike

Mike.C":3bqx3bvo said:
Colin, how have you found your saw? Is there anything that you would change?

Did you get any of the extension table's with it, if so what are these like?

The guy who tested the 12 inch use's his in conection with his business. Do you think that the 10 inch model could be used day in and day out?

Thanks for your reply.

Mike
I've had my Sip 10" now for about 18 months. I don't have the sliding table but it's big enough to rip 8 x 4 ply down but you would need support rollers on the over hang. I've never (touch wood) had anything go wrong with it, every thing has been said about how good the fence is so I won't bother adding anything else. When I built my bench I used it to rip 8" x 2.1/2" through the 8" making cuts top and bottom of the boards and ripping the last inch in the middle on the band saw, it made the sip grunt a bit and I did jam the blade up once but hit the stop before trying to release the blade, it did no harm to the saw.

The only thing I have upgraded is the mitre fence for a jessem and I changed the blade to a frued (sp?) that was after I took some teeth off after hitting metal in the wood (bl@@dy nails). One more thing to add is the arbour size, it's 1" so you will need an insert if you use blades with a 30mm hole.

PS... To answer your question "Do you think that the 10 inch model could be used day in and day out?" Yes.
:)

Mike, firstly don't be too put off these saws by the lack of response on this forum, I've already stated why this might be, and the fact is they are BIG heavy machines, many people on here just wont have that kind of room.

You asked if they can withstand daily use. Certainly the SIP saw will. We used it for making gates and trellises every day and it's still going strong in the draughty damp farm shed it lives in 18months on. Cutting wet Western Red Cedar 8 x 3" and upto 500 mtrs of tannalised batten, every day. It really is a nice piece of kit for the money, but if you try to compare it with say a Wadkin, it isn't the same market.

I will most certainly be looking at it when I upgrade my own workshop next year, and would certainly suggest you look into it more. You might have a little more luck asking on the carpenters forum on the Scr*wfix forum where possibly more fulltime tradesmen might have these machines. One more point, don't also forget the market is relatively small, so you will never get mega responses.

Sorry to ramble, just want you to really think beforfe you decide to ditch them.

Mark

Just saw (no pun intended) your question. I am only a keen DIYer, so don't give my saw a lot of use, however it has never given me any trouble (when I first had it the NVR switch packed up, but they replaced it straight away, and no problems since).

It is a good solid simple machine. It came with 2 extensions, which I have fitted to either side of the main body. I have a 6x4 foot bench butted to the back of the saw which I use as outfeed support.

As has been stated elsewhere, the mitre gauge supplied is not great, and the blade mounting diameter is slightly unusual (but it is easy enough to get spacer rings to use 30mm diameter blades). I would recommend this saw at the price.

Colin S

LN, Mark, Colin,

Many thanks for your reply's. I am trying to find a dealer who has one or both of these models in stock so that I can try them for myself. When I do I will let you know how I got on.

From what I have been told these saws are certainly seem very good value.

Cheers

Mike

jyates":2u6g2psp said:
I was looking for the 12" SIP and couldn't find it.... But found the new 12" ITECH... It's the same thing. Isn't it?

http://www.scosarg.co.uk/mall/productpa ... 1446/83104

Jon
I bought my 10" from Scott & Sargent, It came with all the Sip labels embossed on it, why they say it is an itech I dunno! It is a Sip.

The only differences I can see between the 10" and 12" is the motor is now 4hp was 3hp and the arbour is now 30mm it was 1". The chassis if you can call it that looks identical to both machines.

I got the SIP catalogue through yesterday and both the 10" and 12" are listed. There are considerable differences in table size, rip capacity and so on. I was very close to getting a TS2500Ci, but I'm now waiting to get down to have a look at the 10" and 12" SIP side by side. The 12" looks like a big saw. The sliding table set up also looks very large and I was wondering if it is really required on the 12" given that rip capacity is circa 800mm. Both saws represent a considerable saving over the TS2500.

Jon

I am also thinking of upgrading my small Table saw. I notice that Philly gave the Xcalibur a good write up on his website but as a keen DIYer the price of this saw is a bit steep for me. I am therefore considering an alternative and the SIP/iTECH (whoever makes it) seems like a good buy whether you go for the 10" or the 12. I think the 10" would be a good saw for me both in terms of cost as well as size.

One question I have for anyone who knows about these things is to do with blade speed. The Xcalibur 806 has a blade speed of 4200RPM while the SIP 10" has a blade speed of 3500. This seems like a big difference to me. Can anyone comment of the significance of this difference please?

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back