SIP 10" Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Nearly ready to press the button on buying the axi 10" when my eye was caught by the SIP (01574).

Have to say in the past I haven't been impressed with their stuff at the cheaper end of the market, - very chiwanese and it showed.

This looks different and from what I've read on this forum those who have the SIP seem to feel it's a very good saw.

For the price it looks well equipped (extensions and sliding table) and I hope to have a play at Yandles if they're there (usually are).

What are the views on usability, reliability, warranty etc? I do generally tend to go with axi as their customer service is great and I live quite close but this one needs further thought.

Well I had an SIP 10" cast iron saw for a number of years before upgrading it to the SIP 12" Cast Iron Table Saw which I have had for about 5 years now and neither of them missed a beat - Replace the blade it comes with as they are pants but with a decent blade they are fine but other than that I cannot fault the ones I have had and excellent value for money.

I have also been using one of SIPs heavy duty Hollow chisel morticer for nearly 10 years and it used almost daily and again it has been spot on!

IMHO anyway

Rog

I agree with Rog. I too have the 12" SIP saw although without the sliding table and it is a great machine. Never had a problem with it so far and it has done a lot of work. :wink:

I think the axy is an idetically machine, and better priced, as you get the sliding table with it. For me the sliding table makes the saw, its excellent.

Chems,

The SIP comes with a sliding table and is cheaper!

On that basis the SIP is potenially better value. However, I'm concerned about the overall value in terms of reliabilty, warranty etc.

More thinking methinks!

Also doesn't look like SIP are going to be at Yandles and I really want to play before I buy.

Shame you are not local to me you could come and give mine a try - I'm sure there is someone local to you who would let you play with theirs :oops: :oops:

Rog

Probably a silly question, but has this replaced the 01332 ? I've done a quick forum seach with no results.

I've just looked on the SIP website and it's not listed now.

Whilst the 01574 has a sliding carriage, it also appears to have a smaller motor i.e. 1500kw (2hp) instead of 2200kw (3hp) but all other specs look the same.
Have they sacrificed motor power to add the sliding carriage? I'd rather have the 3hp motor personally>

Bob

The saw that I have, and others, certainly didn't come with the sliding carrige as standard, it was a £200+ extra.

If its this one your looking at:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... -table-saw

Its not the same one were talking about, that is a similar machine thats popped up in a few brands recently.
Its also in Charnwood and I think Rob is going to buy one next year after a favourable test:

http://www.yandles.co.uk/product.php/si ... sn/CHRW650

We are talking about this one, a more powerful larger heavier saw:

£876
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/det ... edium=ncpc

which is the same as this one:

£949
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod838695/

which although slightly more expensive (£70ish) includes the sliding table.

Seems that the machinery suppliers are juggling their model model ranges around. I bought a SIP 01332 just before Christmas. Came in the 'old' colour scheme, that is no darker grey band at the bottom as shown in the then current catalogue. The sliding table is the same as the one pictured for the 12" on SIPs website. The latest offering give a less substantial sliding table and a less powerfull motor. Total cost for mine came to around £1100 by the time I'd added a wheel kit. For some time the Axminster saw was being cited as best value for money; would it be reasonable to suspect that SIP have responded to this by changing the spec of their 10" saw to bring the price more in line with Axminsters?

Tony Comber

Just had another look at the SIP site, I see one difference to the Charnwood offering in that the SIP saw has slots machined into the table. Could be important for some. It also appears that SIP saw has a fence only fixed on a front rail, not at the back as well as on the 01332.

Tony Comber

Thanks for all the thoughts. It would appear that in latest management speak we were not comparing apples with apples :D :twisted:

I did include the model number in my original post to make it clear which one I was looking at. The 'bigger' 10 " requires a 16 amp supply that I don't have and can't afford (not even sure they still produce it?).

If I go for the axi then I can't have the sliding table, - it's huge and I simply don't have room. In all other respects it's a really well put together bit of kit and I've spent a hour or so having a play (the staff are thankfully very tolerant of an old fart like me poking around!).

The SIP is more compact and I do value the sliding table aspect of a saw. If the Charnwood is exactly the same then I can have a play at Yandles as I believe they'll be there Friday :D

I do still have my concerns about reliability etc. mainly caused by living so close to Axminster and just popping down the road to get things sorted (and not paying delivery charges!).

Does the Axi 10" require a 16A supply?

If not you could buy it without the sliding table, you could buy the extension tables to increase the bed size with a total cost of £671.98

Shane,

No it doesn't need 16 amp and yes, - that was my plan!

Was just trying to get a sliding table into the deal if I could as well as they can be very useful.

stuartpaul":q6mznzkh said:
The 'bigger' 10 " requires a 16 amp supply that I don't have and can't afford (not even sure they still produce it?).

It doesn't need a 16amp supply.

The smaller saw looks really good because it has the smaller sliding table. I have the sliding table, it is great but it is huge, you need a lot of space to make full use of it really.

You can get just the SIP big 10" saw for about £500 new if you keep an eye on ebay or rutlands 10% days.

Chems":3h41wspq said:
Its not the same one were talking about, that is a similar machine thats popped up in a few brands recently.
Its also in Charnwood and I think Rob is going to buy one next year after a favourable test:

http://www.yandles.co.uk/product.php/si ... sn/CHRW650

I'm going to have another close eye-ball at the Charnwood W650 at Yandles on Sat, just to make sure. I like it because it's got a small footprint (smaller than the K419) and is reasonably light for a ci saw. The issue of the mitre fence slot doesn't bother me as it's something I'd never use as it's got a decent slider (based on the Kity model) It's certainly had two very good reviews in the press, one from Nick Gibbs in BW and the other from Andy King. It will also run of a 13A plug so no need for a 16A supply to be plumbed in - Rob

No I never use my mitre slots as I have the table. The only time I have is for mitre work when you have to get it from the otherside of the blade for the tilted compound cuts, but thats very rare.

I think the Northampton woodworking centre stocks charnwood and SIP so might see it in the flesh there and compare it to its big brother. It does look good.

Latest posts

Back