Sink covers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mibazza

Reaction score
Hi there, I have some nice wood that I'd like to turn into sink covers for the sinks in my utility room. The sinks are stainless steel with built on washboards so the whole sink is a large rectangle and they are already built into the worktops. I would like my wooden covers to only sit over the sink bowl and I want them to sit in such a way that why will not slide around so I want them fitted to the profile of the top of the sink basin. My mother had this in her old house years ago and I remember it being a smart idea as it gives more worktop space when the sinks are not used. Out clothes drying pulley hangs over the top of these sinks so it would be handy to be able to dump the wet clothes from the machine on top of the sinks before hanging them up without them falling in the sink basins. The profile of the sink basin top is rectangular but has curved corners so my problem is how to I make an accurate template of them to transfer to the wood? I'm thinking that once I have a template I will cut it out in my thick piece of wood about 30mm wider then step the edge in a bit to about half the thickness of the wood to give it a lip that will sit over the top of the basin but stop it moving around. I've scoured the internet several times but not come up with anything. I tried making a cardboard cutout before a few years ago but it was a bit tricky as the top edge of the basin top is also rounded not sharp edged so it's difficult to cut into the cardboard exactly on the side wall of the basin. If any of this rambling explanation makes any sense, can anyone help with this?

Can't you just measure the size of the rectangle and the radius of the corners and draw it up?

You do know the wood will warp, as one side will be exposed to moisture from the sink and the other side will be dry.

Pete

Some thin ply or similar.
cut to desired top shape.
duplicate.
cut bigger than fist sized hole above bowl in one piece.
Put in place over sink.
put hand /arm through hole and run (roll) pencil around sink walls to get inner profile of bowl marked on underside of ply.
cut around line.
fix one to the other with spacers thickness of desired finished wood to test fit etc.
separate.
voila, one top template one bottom template.
:)

Easier to make the wood the shape and size of the top part. Then instead of fitting a recessed piece all round, make internal stops, perhaps with rubber tyres, which can easily be fitted or adjusted accurately, especially if you mount them eccentrically so that they have a cam action. You will need five to stop all rattling:

O O

O O

O O

The top two and one of the middle row can be fixed, and the others adjustable by a cam. You can then make them as snug as you like.

You can even buy suitable cams from Axminster, called duck cams.

Keith

Back