Single garage - heating?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planned to get rid of my garage door and put in a wall/ window but in the end put the brush-type draught excluder around the sides and top and a rubber strip along the bottom, and filled gaps around the frame with expanding foam (there's still a small gap at the bottom which means air can get in to avoid damp problems). I covered the door with sticky-backed soundproofing insulation called Thermoliner - it sticks really solid to the metal, reduces sound that could annoy neighbours and reduces heat loss (I also did the inside of my van with it - which is what it's sold for - it works very well). Also, having a garage door means I can open it some when I'm done sawing etc and air moves through both top and bottom of the door (I also open a window) meaning quick change of any air with dust in it. I'm now glad I didn't replace the door.
_MG_6146.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_6146.jpg
    _MG_6146.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 79
Rorschach":5e3c7i2s said:
Bob Graham":5e3c7i2s said:
I got rid of my garage door, also boarded in the roof it has an A frame supports. Before the door conversion I taped an old duvet against the garage door that stopped a lot of cold transfer.

I plan to do this if my next workshop is a garage.

What I really wish I could find is a practical heated jacket and socks, my workshop doesn't really get cold enough to cause a problem with glues etc and when It does I will warm it up a little, but what I would really rather do is warm myself, especially my feet as I suffer from chillblains otherwise.

Check out heated motorcycle wear. https://www.primrose.co.uk/wireless-rec ... 00208.html & https://www.primrose.co.uk/filter.php?v ... &features=

Hope this helps

Bob Graham":1h4e3k09 said:
Rorschach":1h4e3k09 said:
Bob Graham":1h4e3k09 said:
I got rid of my garage door, also boarded in the roof it has an A frame supports. Before the door conversion I taped an old duvet against the garage door that stopped a lot of cold transfer.

I plan to do this if my next workshop is a garage.

What I really wish I could find is a practical heated jacket and socks, my workshop doesn't really get cold enough to cause a problem with glues etc and when It does I will warm it up a little, but what I would really rather do is warm myself, especially my feet as I suffer from chillblains otherwise.

Check out heated motorcycle wear. https://www.primrose.co.uk/wireless-rec ... 00208.html & https://www.primrose.co.uk/filter.php?v ... &features=

Hope this helps

I have my doubts about a 5v heat pad being able to deliver anything effective since it is maximum of 10W but I have ordered a pad from ebay to try out. I plan to sew it into a thin jumper I can wear close to my body and then insulate over the top.

I am still lacking a good solution for my feet, I don't think running wires up my legs is practical lol.

phil.p":122kqoxe said:
Don't forget when looking at the power of things that they are not really meant to warm you - they are meant to stop you getting cold.
Stop you getting cold when you're enveloped by a 70mph wind, that is.... never more, because of course you're obeying the speed limit Ossifer!!! :roll: :p

Do look at some decent brands of heated motorcycle kit, though. Gerbing is the main brand at the minute, with Keis as an alternative. Oxford is a fairly cheap brand, but places like M&P, MPS and maybe even Busters Accessories will carry other brands at different prices.
Often you'll find just a vest/waistcoat will do, as it warms your core and keeps everything else toasty as a result. That said, heated insoles are luuuuuuuuuuuuurvelly!!!!!!!

NOTE: Some items are designed to be wired up to the bike battery (with a convenient plug, of course), so running them off the 240v mains will require an appropriate adapter... and remember you'll be 'plugged in', with trailing cables and the like so factor that into your safe methods of working!!

My plan is for a cordless setup based on heating pads running from USB powerbanks. I have a large collection of 18650 cells and reckon I can get 4-6 hours of continuous heating from a fairly small powerbank. The hardest bit I think will be sorting out where to put the pad. Direct skin contact is a no-no but it needs to be underneath my outer layer to retain the heat and I need pockets for the powerbank.

Rorschach":1bsmr10q said:
I have a large collection of 18650 cells and reckon I can get 4-6 hours of continuous heating from a fairly small powerbank.
Heavy vaper, or PC battery enthusiast?
Not sure how electronics-savvy you are, but be sure they're the right kind of battery, for the discharge you're planning. Known too many people use 6A rated 18 and 22-650 cells for 30A devices and blow things up!!

Collected from various defunct devices, never vaped lol.

Maximum discharge from a powerbank is 2A so no problems there.

Latest posts

Back