Simply Bearings - good experience with drive belt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
Might help drive belt seekers.

I decided to get a spare drive belt for my Record DML 305 lathe. Who knows what supply chains might be like for a few months, and no belt = no fun. After a bit of a search I ended up on the simply bearings site which has been mentioned here before. The current belt had 270 on it, relatively easy job to track it down to 270J and the site has very good information, size, little picture of cross section with dimension of ribs so you can be pretty sure you are getting the right thing. Free delivery unless you want overnight, easy ordering and they don't ask for more information than they need to process the order, ordered Monday came Wednesday. About £6 including the VAT.

What's not to like. Will use them again for any belts or bearings.

As an aside, I decided to check the new one for fit. When you take the belt off rather than just change speeds the motor drops down further than usual. That's when you notice the accumulated dust and general crud, so a belt off and vacuum out will be a regular event from now on.

Richard_C":3tq3xnh6 said:
......... That's when you notice the accumulated dust and general crud, so a belt off and vacuum out will be a regular event from now on.

Maintain machinery! What sort of crazy idea is that? :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

MikeG.":16jwc2f6 said:
Maintain machinery! What sort of crazy idea is that?

Yeah I know, just realised why the last car I got rid of only lasted 18 years - should have dusted it out more often.

Seriously though, very little machinery arrives with maintenance instructions these days. I have a 1963 Hermes 3000 typewriter, the user manual has clear instructions about clean and lube. My wife's 1970s Bernina sewing machine is the same. These days its open box, use, hope for the best and replace when it starts to screech. I suppose modern materials, lubricants and sealed bearings help.

Back