Simple sharpening from 1900s

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember the large diameter whetstone at my school (pupil powered) was about 2' dia.( metric came in some years later!).
I've just done a little exercise on my trusty CAD package and found that the concavity across a 1/4" bevel would have been 0.0007" ie, less than a thou. Distinct?
Brian
My brother has a big old round stone, and is in a big metal frame. I'll try to get a photo next time im there.

My brother has a big old round stone, and is in a big metal frame. I'll try to get a photo next time im there.

was common on farms here, at least of a certain age. A blacksmith's leg vise and an anvil was, too. both of those have become valuable. Not sure of the stones as some of them can get really lopsided if they're left to sit in water indefinitely. Drastic range of fineness on the versions I've seen and many are just used as yard decoration now.

More common on farms going out of business now is an air compressor and stick welder. the anvil and leg vise and wheel is less common, but are a picker's delight. Value density vs. a used compressor and stick welder - definitely higher!

gif-eating-popcorn-24.gif

We should have a challenge to find the oldest sharpening guide. i have no interest in using any such thing, but i'll bet they're a whole lot older than paul sellers and his menu of diamond hones.

My school same sort of stone and size, hand turned with a water bath.
We were strictly banned from using small powered grindstones as these were only for the metal workers who shared the workshop. Could seriously damage a chisel in the wrong hands, not least because they'd end up looking as though nibbled by rats, and blued with over heating.

1100234492_PREVIEW.jpg

Missed a trick today at the Ledbury sale. It went far 30 quid. Electric as well
Brian

Back