Simple Sawhorse

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubtoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had the idea this weekend of building a couple of sawhorses thinking that this would be a relatively simple exercise...

Now either I'm being a bit of a dunce or making a sawhorse isn't quite as simple as I first thought! :?

I found this old post on the forum https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post522279.html?hilit=sawhorse#p522279 but that just links to the following page http://owdman.co.uk/howto/howto2.htm with the most complicated diagram I think I have ever seen describing the various angles needed to get the splay of the legs correct.

Can anyone help with a simpler plan for a sawhorse?

Thanks,

Jonny

You don't have to use the projection method. Jacob gives two other methods in that link.
Just use either of those instead.
If you can't follow the trigonometry approach then use similar triangles to go from dimensions to marking the cut lines.
if you want a novel approach but not quite saw horses, search posts by "the tiddles" in this forum for a knock down design made from sheet materials.
He gives full plans here sore-hoarses-mkii-now-with-added-plans-t44761.html
Bob

The method I quote is particularly difficult, but a useful exercise if you want to go down that route.
Plenty of alternatives here
Simplest of all is four holes drilled in a top piece, with four legs hammered in.

Hi Jonny

One of the first 'projects' I made was a sawhorse. A few pieces of 2x2 ,3x2 and a few screws. Now, some 32 years later it still gets pulled out of the garage for all sorts.

Anyhow, the moral is don't make it too complicated. Fag packet design to meet the requirement, budget and your skillset. Then crack on. It doesn't have to be too pretty it's a .....sawhorse.

Good luck with the project.

stubtoe":2wz1d7cs said:
Cheers chaps. You're right, I just need to get on and build it! Watch this space...

Stub,

I'd build a matching pair while I was at it.
Make 'em stackable keep 'em indoors and they should see you out.

John :)

I made a couple of these some years ago with the intention of making something "better" down the road - and still haven't bothered. Very easy to make, and imo the wide top is heaps more useful than the traditional variety. fwiw.

At a time when I was cutting quite a lot of sheet stuff, without table saw, I made a horse with a slot down the middle to support both edges of the cut. Just over 4ft long, it worked a treat.
xy

Back