Simple beginner question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i've thought about half laps too, either way, i was more concerned about cutting the rebate and i know i'm far to useless to cut a decent mitre! ;)

Sounds like you've given this all some thought already, so apologies if this has already been considered, but if you use the "sandwiching two bits together (with the rear piece being narrower)"* method to create your rebate, then you could make the half-lap at the same time.

*a name of my own devising - catchy, eh?

All this fuss about cutting accurate mitres ! Has no one heard of a shooting board :shock: (hammer)

Dangermouse":1melm045 said:
All this fuss about cutting accurate mitres ! Has no one heard of a shooting board :shock: (hammer)
I got an old firedoor at work I use for zeroing my air rifle- does that count :lol:
Not sure if it might be possible to put a washer somewhere to bring it square....but agree with previous posts of getting it replaced ;-)

Dangermouse":3efzavlz said:

Or a mitre box, or good old fashioned practice!

I've done quite a few mitred picture frames with one of those cheap far eastern hand mitre saws that you get in diy shops for about £20 before I knew they were supposed to be difficult!

76675.jpg

But I'd agree that half laps would be good for this. You could even try an "Oxford frame" if you want something a bit different but still quite strong. This could be built up brickwise with different length strips.

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improv.../The-Halved-Joint-Continued.html#.UXe-okrySZR

Back