'silver' inlay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sterling is 92.5%, Britania is 95.84% and uncommon. Sterling dulls slightly quicker because of the copper content, and is also harder - fine (pure) silver (99.9%) is easier to work because it's softer and doesn't work harden, so doesn't need annealing when worked. Kernowcraft is local to me and people only use it as a last resort - they are invariably more expensive than other firms supplying gemstones and bullion, but some firms have minimum orders.

Another possibility might be Nickel Silver. It's a copper-nickel alloy, and has a very similar colour to silver when polished up. It's fairly widely available in thin sheet form, used a lot by modelmakers. Quite easy to saw with a jeweller's piercing saw and to work accurately to shape with fine files. Not dirt cheap, but certainly cheaper than silver. Needs a lacquer or similar to seal it, because it will tarnish in time.

Edit to add - here's one possible supplier. 0.036" is just a shade under 1 mm.

http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/Nic ... rSheet.htm

Thanks, lots to think about here. Using plated brass will not work, as needs to be flattened after gluing in as phil.p says. Andy, I would need a few thousand cm2, hence the problem! I will have a look into Nickel silver — does this tarnish at the same rate as 'normal' silver? I guess shellac would seal it OK. Also I will try polishing up a bit of tin just to see how it comes out....

Nickel silver is what I was trying to remember. I thought I was doing well remembering Kernow Craft - it must be over 25 years ago that I used them!

Maybe:

1) Hire a plasma cutter £135 per week
2) Go to second hand commercial catering equipment auction/shop & buy an old stainless steel table.. the old stuff is very good quality & thick (take a magnet).

or check out the back of takeaways/restaurants/hotels/pubs/schools for abandonned kit.

Back