Silent woodworker from Wurzburg, Germany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joschua

Reaction score
Hey there,
I am glad I found you. I do woodworking with silent tools here in Würzburg, Germany. I am living in a flat with my family, so we don`t have much space. That is, why I started working with greenwood. Here in Germany, the community with greenwood workers is very small. Most things I learn from youtube and in most cases I watch tutorials from the UK. So I am excited to read your work, learn from you, and share my future projects with you.
The next projects will be the restoration of an adze, carving a bowl, and building a chair.
This is the place, where I spent my woodworking time

Attachments

• IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
Greetings, Joschua! I'm a few hours west of you between Darmstadt and Mannheim. I think it is safe to say that hobbyist woodworking in Germany is not common.

Greetings, Joschua! I'm a few hours west of you between Darmstadt and Mannheim. I think it is safe to say that hobbyist woodworking in Germany is not common.
Nice to meet you! At the moment we are sitting in isolation because the corona virus caught us. So I was looking around for some new ideas and found this forum. What do you do in woodworking?

Hey there,
I am glad I found you. I do woodworking with silent tools here in Würzburg, Germany. I am living in a flat with my family, so we don`t have much space. That is, why I started working with greenwood. Here in Germany, the community with greenwood workers is very small. Most things I learn from youtube and in most cases I watch tutorials from the UK. So I am excited to read your work, learn from you, and share my future projects with you.
The next projects will be the restoration of an adze, carving a bowl, and building a chair.
This is the place, where I spent my woodworking time

Hello Joschua,
I am in UK and I just randomly stumbled upon your post. I was hoping to make some small stools of the same design as the benches in your photo. My question is how do you attach the legs to the seat, do you drill normal holes with parallel sides or do you use the veritas reamer and tapered tenon tools with a wedge a la Chris Schwartz?
All the best
Giles

Hello Joschua,
I am in UK and I just randomly stumbled upon your post. I was hoping to make some small stools of the same design as the benches in your photo. My question is how do you attach the legs to the seat, do you drill normal holes with parallel sides or do you use the veritas reamer and tapered tenon tools with a wedge a la Chris Schwartz?
All the best
Giles
Hey Giles, sorry for having you waiting on an answer.
I just drill the holes with my hand drill. But it is essential to do some angles. If the legs are completely vertical, the bench will wiggle while working or sitting. So if you plan to drill your legs, do not plan them vertically but with an angle of 15-20 degrees on the length and on the width. I will post some pictures of my benches and the tools I used.
I glued the legs into the holes and fixed the legs additional with some wedges. In some cases, I did the gluing after one year of waiting, because I used greenwood for the legs. After some time they are shrinking and you have to rework them. So I planned the legs 5 cm longer than needed and adjust the legs after one year.

Back