Woodworking artist from Istanbul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oymadan

Reaction score
Hey, my name is Alpaslan. I am a woodworking artist from Istanbul with around 35 years of experience. Recently, I have developed an interest in communicating outside of my country and exchanging ideas from other cultures. I especially love to learn historical development of furniture style in western culture.

Hi there

Is there any particular style you are interested in or just the history of its development ?

I think at least from an early perspective it was more utilitarian, that leading to as the culture formed and the rich became more prevalent into luxury goods that were more about how they looked that how they performed as a piece of furniture.

A great Scottish designer was Charles Rennie Mackintosh..
If you keep in mind that the usual style of his era was quite drab, so his having pure white rooms were not just a shock to the system, but a time of enlightenment.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/06/06/house-for-an-art-lover-charles-rennie-mackintosh-architecture/

Last edited:
Welcome, I'd be interested to see some of your work and workshop please.
I will take some photos of my workshop in the next few days. Meanwhile, I posted some projects I finished recently under "Projects" as "Victorian Era Easels". Thank you all for warming welcome :)

Hi there

Is there any particular style you are interested in or just the history of its development ?

I think at least from an early perspective it was more utilitarian, that leading to as the culture formed and the rich became more prevalent into luxury goods that were more about how they looked that how they performed as a piece of furniture.

A great Scottish designer was Charles Rennie Mackintosh..
If you keep in mind that the usual style of his era was quite drab, so his having pure white rooms were not just a shock to the system, but a time of enlightenment.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/06/06/house-for-an-art-lover-charles-rennie-mackintosh-architecture/
There are some particular styles and movements I would like to investigate. One is naturalism, specifically naturalist flower paintings. In Turkey, the most renowned artist in this style is Ali Üsküdari from around 1700s. Look for the yellow flower for a work of his (there are tens of them) in this article.

The reason I am interested in these flowers is that they fit very well to wood for carving. I will post a few examples in the next days.

The article was so enjoyable to read, thank you.

There are some particular styles and movements I would like to investigate. One is naturalism, specifically naturalist flower paintings. In Turkey, the most renowned artist in this style is Ali Üsküdari from around 1700s. Look for the yellow flower for a work of his (there are tens of them) in this article.

The reason I am interested in these flowers is that they fit very well to wood for carving. I will post a few examples in the next days.

The article was so enjoyable to read, thank you.
Would Marquetry not be a better medium(unless you are meaning marquetry) ?

Examples.(not by me)
the-marquetry-table-top-of-a-table-of-1675-decorated-with-floral-marquetry-FDMC8R.jpg

4aweb.jpg

rena40730tab29.jpg

love it...wish I could do that!

Eric in Canada
Practise is all thats needed. Buy yourself a proper scalpel, box of blades*
We had a few exercises at college, and i did a bit of marquetry(or was it parquetry) inlays for some tables I'd made for the centers/edges/corners. Hot sand shaded fans and scrolls, and once you get into it it's easier that you'd imagine- at least in the basic formats i was attempting, but overall i was pretty pleased with the results. A customer on the other hand would be wide eyed and marveling it it, but the basic stuff like fans can be reproduced with little effort and a slight modicum of skill.

If you look at the 3rd pic. and think if you place a piece of veneer on the background surface held in place with some tape, and an outline on the veneer piece, cutting the outline and through the veneer piece and the backing at the same time, you get the shape and the hole to place it in. the only gap is from the scalpel line, hence the thin black outline to each flower. Using sand shading or even something like a soldering iron to provide detailing.

Of course if you really get into it then the hand/eye improves vastly and things like the above examples are the result.
Theres a story about an old guy who lived in the city im in(Glasgow). Total alcoholic, who was a god in doing marquetry pics, and he used to sell/exchange his creations for beer down the pub. Apparently his little spare bedroom workshop was a complete fire hazard zone as the entire place was ankle deep in offcuts and trimmings of veneer and he never cleaned it ever. This was maybe up until the late 70's.

I suppose we're also getting into scroll saw territory, and theres a forum section dedicated to that as the best place to see examples and get people thoughts on starting off.

*bigger box of elastoplasts ;)

Last edited:
Back