Sika Liquid Batten / Gluing solid wood flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy

Established Member
Reaction score
I wondered if anyone here has used the Sika Liquid batten system or similar flooring adhesive products for gluing solid timber flooring onto a concrete subfloor and whether they had any feed back on performance and longevity?

Following a rush of blood to the head I've bought 20m2 of solid oak plank flooring, the planks are 120mm wide and I'm searching for a suitable method for installing them over concrete. Battens are out because of the increase in thickness. Blinding nailing or screwing to plywood underlay is a possibility but the adhesive route seems easier, if it is likely to last - I'd like to get at least 10 years from the floor.

Does anyone have any advice on any measures necessary when installing wider planks? I've seen some articles suggesting that for planks wider than 100mm it is worth leaving a slight gap (<1mm) between the planks to allow for some expansion within the floor. I'd prefer to have the planks tightly locked but I don't want to risk having the floor buckle during seasonal moisture fluctuations.

Thanks,

Jonesy

Jonesy":22r8b6r8 said:
I wondered if anyone here has used the Sika Liquid batten system or similar flooring adhesive products for gluing solid timber flooring onto a concrete subfloor and whether they had any feed back on performance and longevity?

Following a rush of blood to the head I've bought 20m2 of solid oak plank flooring, the planks are 120mm wide and I'm searching for a suitable method for installing them over concrete. Battens are out because of the increase in thickness. Blinding nailing or screwing to plywood underlay is a possibility but the adhesive route seems easier, if it is likely to last - I'd like to get at least 10 years from the floor.

Does anyone have any advice on any measures necessary when installing wider planks? I've seen some articles suggesting that for planks wider than 100mm it is worth leaving a slight gap (<1mm) between the planks to allow for some expansion within the floor. I'd prefer to have the planks tightly locked but I don't want to risk having the floor buckle during seasonal moisture fluctuations.

Thanks,

Jonesy

Yep Ive used Sikabond a few times in a gun and from a tub using a trowel. The trowel is probably best with the gun theres the price of the gun and the faffing about changing the sausages all the time.

Its incredibly easy but can get messy if youre not careful. The last solid floor I did I used the adhesive the client supplied and it didnt need a primer where as when i used Sika I had to use the two part primer.

Regards leaving a 1mm gap between boards that is rubbish just butt them all up tight 100mm isnt a wide board Ive laid much wider boards than that in the past. Take a look at some of the floors on my website some are glued some are porta nailed.

Cant really help with the floor laying part but I have used some sika products before. The Sikabond in 330ml cartridges was a very good adhesive, not massive instant grab but very strong once it got going and very flexable when used in a thicker bead. Sikaflex is similar but more of a sealant/adhesive rather than an outright adhesive.

hth

Latest posts

Back