Signing work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
What’s the best (easiest, most economic) way of signing your work ? i’ve tried stickers (they fall off), Sharpie type pens ( they bleed), pyrography ( not too good for small pieces), and getting bespoke metal discs made is expensive, and are not much use on spindle work.
Any ideas?
D.

My first marker was one of those really big copper staples you get on boxes, bent with pliers so one end was a 'stalk' and the other my initial. Push stalk into old wine cork, heat end with blow lamp, mark. Free, works. Now I use pre printed stickers which do stick, 25mm mock-metal. I think they were about £30 for 250 which is a long times worth for me. When I finish a bowl or vase I use a half inch skew as a scraper to make a very slight clean recess so the sticker edges are flush with the work. I don't wax that bit :) 17080126963005320233942525727494.jpg

Took a while to find, longer ago than I remember so prices have probably gone up. stickershop.co.uk. I ordered round brushed silver, or was it silver with satin finish?, 25mm permanent adhesive (you can peel back and move if you do it immediately but next day its really stuck). I thought 25 would fit everything, if cost were no object I might have gone with some 35s as well for bigger bowls and platters.

As long as its all the same shape & type you can have multiple designs on the same order and they just split the number so I simply edited the design to change font colour and year - that meant in my 250 I got c. 50 of 2022, 2023, etc and did an undated batch as well as spares.

You need to do your own artwork or pay for it, adds a lot for small quantities. They have a good help guide and it can be done in word if you use wordart and mess about with some cut and paste. Doubtless google docs can do it as well, or any drawing programme. I really don't remember exactly what I did. Read their guides carefully, I erred towards too much 'edge' not wanting to lose any text so the text ended up a bit smaller than I expected. You can upload it as a pdf, or in my case 5x pdf files, and these days word lets you 'save as' a pdf. (keep a word version as well in case you need to edit)

Stickershop was just one of the many out there - not sure why or how I decided where to go so shop around.

If I were to do it again not sure about the shiny metallic. might go with one of the waterproof white options but thats an aesthetic rather than functional choice.

Hope that helps, better get back to proper work now ...

I wouldn't use stickers. The glue may be good now but how long will it remain stuck in place?

I have a heated brand but rarely use it because I found it too much of a faff!

On the things worth signing (I don't sign the cheaper stuff!) I have always used a fine permanent marker and with anything except mineral oil haven't had a problem with bleeding. Now I have a laser engraver I have devised a suitable engraving that allows me to "write" my signature, wood type and anything else I want on the bottom of my work.

I see a lot of people are buying laser engraved discs to set in to the bottom of their bowls etc. I have yet to see one of those that doesn't look tacky so I won't be following that trend! ;)

Hi Guys,
What’s the best (easiest, most economic) way of signing your work ? i’ve tried stickers (they fall off), Sharpie type pens ( they bleed), pyrography ( not too good for small pieces), and getting bespoke metal discs made is expensive, and are not much use on spindle work.
Any ideas?
D.
Easiest if you have access to anyone with a 3D printer is to make a plate full on the printer. Cost in material is pennies and can be in copper, gold, silver or any other colour of your choice. All you need is the .STLfile to use and anyone with a 3D printer can do it.
Set the disc in a recess and use Superglue to fix permanently.

It's also simple to create a QR code with a link to your webpage or phone, either incorporated into the disk or separately. Best to use a change of colour on the top layers if you want a QR code though.

I use a shining one pence piece and a 20mm Forstner bit total cost 1 p

Attachments

• DAE0219B-4B1B-48A3-A395-519910DA3B0E.jpeg
    DAE0219B-4B1B-48A3-A395-519910DA3B0E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I would say a laser, or maybe one of those handheld inkjet printers they use on packing crates.

Took a while to find, longer ago than I remember so prices have probably gone up. stickershop.co.uk. I ordered round brushed silver, or was it silver with satin finish?, 25mm permanent adhesive (you can peel back and move if you do it immediately but next day its really stuck). I thought 25 would fit everything, if cost were no object I might have gone with some 35s as well for bigger bowls and platters.

As long as its all the same shape & type you can have multiple designs on the same order and they just split the number so I simply edited the design to change font colour and year - that meant in my 250 I got c. 50 of 2022, 2023, etc and did an undated batch as well as spares.

You need to do your own artwork or pay for it, adds a lot for small quantities. They have a good help guide and it can be done in word if you use wordart and mess about with some cut and paste. Doubtless google docs can do it as well, or any drawing programme. I really don't remember exactly what I did. Read their guides carefully, I erred towards too much 'edge' not wanting to lose any text so the text ended up a bit smaller than I expected. You can upload it as a pdf, or in my case 5x pdf files, and these days word lets you 'save as' a pdf. (keep a word version as well in case you need to edit)

Stickershop was just one of the many out there - not sure why or how I decided where to go so shop around.

If I were to do it again not sure about the shiny metallic. might go with one of the waterproof white options but thats an aesthetic rather than functional choice.

Hope that helps, better get back to proper work now ...

My inkjet printer will print on CD's. I drew a 1"circle on my PC with my name inside it. and copied it a few times. I cut a circle CD size in a piece of 1/32 ply and printed the names on it. I used a Forstener drill to cut a shallow recess, in the turned bowl and cut out the small circle and and glued them in. Sounds a bit of fuss but the results were ok, better than my attempt's to burn my name in.
Gordon

I wouldn't use stickers. The glue may be good now but how long will it remain stuck in place?
Ive had no trouble with 2+ year old ones, a lot of adhesives get stronger, not worse, with time as bonds develop. They call it permanent (they do non permament versions as well) but it is of course impossible to assess until time has passed. According to actuarial tables, if I last to the median age I can review it again in 12 years and let you know then. Do remind me :)

I do not initial my work but I have used UV resin to seal labels. Maybe you could make a recess in your work, put a label in then top the recess with UV resin. It sets with UV light in seconds. Too quick for the ink to bleed. Just a thought.

On my chessboards I use the method Stig suggested - heated brass stamp.
Mine is very simple, but you can get some very detailed ones. Downside, it's not cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_4220.jpg
    IMG_4220.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4224.jpg
    IMG_4224.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 0
Back