sign making and letter cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm looking for sign making templates and letter cutting equipment does anyone use these and can you reccomend any supplier please.

I did, I found it pants.... but..... it has had some modifications since I bought mine which might mean it's better now?
I've since bought this which gives far more scope, if you can print it you can rout it (within reason). It's a lot cheaper elsewhere though.

I always rout signs freehand with the router. I just print out the fonts from the computer and then transfer them with carbon paper to the wood. Then it is a case of cutting the letters with a fine cutter and cleaning up the back ground with a larger one. HTH. :wink:

I did try that method Alan but, when doing incised lettering you need a much steadier hand than wot I got. :)
With the Pantograph the print out you follow is much bigger than the finished letter so is much easier to follow.

Studders. That looks like a really good piece of kit, but there sold out with a reserve yours button, I ain't risking it hehe

I don't have the steady head required either and has always fancied them rutlands letter jigs but they seem limited to basic shaped letters. Think ill have a look around or even make one of these 3D things.

Milescraft sell the 3D pantograph too, I bought one at last years ali pally show for just over £30 - very versatile bit of kit

HERE ya go, it's where I got mine from.
Did consider making my own based on one I saw on the web but for the price I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. You also get a fairly good set of about four fonts but you can print your own as well. + It's good fun.

Before buying anything, have a good long look at the sort of lettering you would be restricted to if you bought anything based on a set of cut-out letter shapes, like that Rutlands kit they are often trying to shift. The letters it makes just look AWFUL. Imagine trying to persuade a customer to pay money for a sign made with one of them. You'd know how bad it looked. They would ask if you couldn't do something different, to match another one, or be in a different size, and you'd have to say 'no, can't do that.'

The other suggestions of PC-printed designs, or a pantograph, sound much more useful to me.

Or try cutting the letters freehand with a chisel after setting out using printed letters off your pc. With a bit of practice you can carve letters surprisingly quickly and they look much cleaner and crisper than routed letters.

Thanks for the replys folks. I have ruled out the Rutland one. I was also looking for someway of cutting out individual letters from board materials any ideas ?

what about making some mdf or hardboard templates and using a guidebush on the router with a straight cutter?

I marked these out fee hand and cut them on the bandsaw then a little sanding. If I was planning to make lots more I'd probably go down the router template route.

Jon

9f7188bc.jpg

studders":2jxpiny3 said:
HERE ya go, it's where I got mine from.
Did consider making my own based on one I saw on the web but for the price I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. You also get a fairly good set of about four fonts but you can print your own as well. + It's good fun.

I got mine from there too, it does a good job.

Here is a double sided hanging sign I just made with my version of the Woodgears 3D Pantograph.

2e116e69.jpg

It's made using lettering stencils as on the woodgears website, rather than freehand, and I'm very happy with the result.

Si.

Latest posts

Back