Sigle Beds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I needed to make two single beds for the spare room (grandchildrens room)

Legs laminated from 28 mil oak.

ec5b8867.jpg

Bottom of bed had pieces glued on to give extra stability

ec5b87e6.jpg

Dry fit with the headboard

ec5b87a0.jpg

And with the panels in place

ec5b8628.jpg

Side rails made from parana pine.
10 mil studding fixed into rail using plastic padding.

ec5b86b0.jpg

Would have liked to have counter bored the holes to hide the fixing nuts but having no lathe to turn any covers settled for this.

ec5b8680.jpg

ec5b876a.jpg

Slats fitted, timber from Wickes. Spacers glued and fixed with brads.

ec5b8655.jpg

The Grandchildren love them.

Alan

Really good looking beds here - I see though that Axminster do a set of bed bolts now which would have been an alternative way of doing it - Rob

Really really lovely beds. \:D/ What type of oak is it? I'm on a quest to make an oak sideboard/Hifi cabinet but cant make my mind up if to use American white oak or not.

CYC wrote
Are they in the same room? It would look nice together.
Yes,both in the same room, bags of fun both grandchildren are down together.

Lord Nibbo, Its American red oak. Had a pallet of offcuts fron ebay. although there are quite a lot of different shades.

Alan.

Lord Nibbo wrote:
American white oak
I made a kitchen door in this stuff some time ago, I bought the oak from Yandles (kiln dried). It was horrible, nasty stuff to use as it kept on splitting :x . This is caused, I think, by it being dried too quickly in the kiln with the result that thousands of tiny fissures, cracks and splits appear. I would go for air dried oak (cheaper anyway) and give it a further period of conditioning in the workshop before use. I know that I won't be using any more kiln dried oak if I can help it - Rob

Latest posts

Back