Shutting the door once the horse has bolted... security tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this post has taken a rather bizarre turn! I was only after some practical tips – thanks to those for their advice in this regard. it's now resurfaced with some unexpected comments which I hope I've not caused.

To be quite honest, yes it’s a bit of a blow to see thousands of pounds of kit missing and buildings damaged, but I think I’ll leave the violence out of it. A civil servant I am, a professional boxer/self-defence/policeman/lawyer I aint!! Life is short as it is, without risking getting into a conflab with some criminals who are probably more used to confrontations than I am! Or the risk of litigation through over the top and dangerous measures like wiring doorhandles to the mains – realistically, it’d be me or the missus that forgets and gets a new perm!

In the end, I went with the usual combination of a balanced approach to physical security measures including multiple locks, new sliding steel bars across door frames, alarm system with ‘MasterBlaster’ inside and multiple bells and siren outside. I’ve spoken to the neighbours in the area about the alarm and given them my number should it go off and asked them to call the police if necessary. Then it’s a consideration as to how much damage will be caused in the process – and offsetting that by a solid insurance policy. I’d rather the chainsaw gets stolen than they bring the wall down.

Yes this topic went a bit of track, good that you have sorted some security out. I'm sure the helpful advice from the topic was of great assistance ;)
Perhaps some peace of mind.
On note of a consideration as to how much damage will be caused in the process, I once had a chevette worth all of £50 that had rubbish pod speakers on the parcel shelf.
Came out to the car one morning and the window was smashed, pod speakers stolen. I was not overly angry with the theft but more so of the broken window that cost me £20. The really really annoying part was the fact the doors were all UNLOCKED to begin with as I thought if the were going to get in better no damage was done.
On another car the windscreen was stolen, it was then I moved into the car security game.

Lots of years ago I stopped my caravan being broken into by putting the legs into rubber tyres and wiring the chassis to the mains. I used to hit the beer, forget, and scat myself off my feet quite regularly. By the bye, my garage/workshop has just been "cased" by the scumbag "travellers" up the road, so I quite expect a visit. Isn't it galling when we actually know who is committing these crimes and can do little about it? I know my cousin would have their legs broken, but I'm not wealthy enough. :(

david123":2e9cv2z2 said:
Looks interesting. The price of these devices used to be prohibitive.

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-securi ... tems.shtml
Good idea.

Many years ago I was working in a middle-sized TV studio. We were recording*, when the 'on' button on a smoke machine jammed - on.

"Red Lights" used to mean no aircon (because of the noise), and before the machine's operator could find and pull the plug, the place had thoroughly filled up. Despite having the lights full on, nobody could see the end of an outstretched arm, never mind how to get to the exits.

From the control room, the technical manager told everyone to stand stock still via loudspeaker talkback, whilst we went back to blue lights (rehearsal) and the aircon removed the smoke - took a couple of minutes, which seems like ages when you're waiting. Then we had an extended tea-break...

Good game!

E.

*"The Innes Book Of Records" if anyone was wondering - a very talented man. The set was a tropical jungle (hence the 'mist') and NI was playing all of the Marx brothers, one at a time, multiple passes working up to a song in harmony. Easy nowadays, fiddly in the early 1980s.

A lot of sound advice contained within the thread. Especially pertaining to the application of target hardening. The Sad state of affairs is not trying to stop the ( insert appropriate term here) getting in as you will never achieve a failsafe method . It is however to make the prospect of gaining entry harder and by adding the security measures discussed, you make your property less of an atractive target than some other poor blighters property.
No one method will magically make the thieves go away (body disposal aside), but the combination of added stuctural security elements, vigilance and quality cctv go a long way in reducing your chances of becoming a victim.
To add to the thread I find that a visible alarm box with a telephone number of the alarm /security company on it is useful. Not only do the thieves see that the property is potentially alarmed they are known to ring the number displayed to see if the box is from a genuine alarm company therefore a "real" alarm. This acts as another layer of deterrent.
Finally I cannot emphasise enough the requirement of quality cameras and clear recognisable facial images which are essential for the police to bringing these offenders to justice.

I agree with Nolegs on the subject of dogs and injuries that may be received by burglars.

I doubt any right minded judge would ever see a householder punished for just protecting his property (provided it's reasonable force). Dog owners are responsible for their dogs, I get that but if someone trespasses on your property and gets bitten then it's their fault.

I have a Cocker Spaniel, a lovely old boy and tolerates the kids climbing over him pulling his ears etc and he has never snapped. He is a useless guard dog and doesn't wake when anyone comes in the house. He does have two faults though, he hates postmen and hates fast food junk mail people. One day he was in the front garden when an unsuspecting pizza shop canvasser walked in the gate, Stitch didn't bat an eyelid until the guy reached the door then he attacked him. Luckily there was nothing more than a bit of hurt pride but we did receive a visit from the police who had reports of a dog attack, they said don't worry about it and if he was stupid enough to enter a garden with a dog in it was his own fault. (Neither my wife or I were in the garden at the time btw)

FWIW, my BIL is a met officer and tells me the crims are always claiming they have been assaulted by police officers, most of the time it's a complete fabrication however sometimes unfortunate crims are injured whilst resisting arrest (I'm guessing this is after forcing the police officers to chase them over long distances on foot)

EDIT* I do take steps to prevent injury to any visitors to my house, not just because I don't want anyone hurt, more because I would be heartbroken if my best friend had to be put down!

Headbutting the inside of caged vehicles is quite common, hence why its noted on the log. it helps mitigate that sort of claim, but yeah it does happen quite often. as for the "guard dog".. no its not, its a "family pet" putting up guard dog signs opens a can of worms, which wont help you should Mr Criminal get dogged.

*NB chasing people on foot often results in sense of humour failure.
Glad to see common sense being deployed over the pizza lads close encounter of the Stitch kind.

Latest posts

Back