Shutting the door once the horse has bolted... security tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it's happened - low-life broke into the workshop and cleaned out all the stuff they could carry; saws, drills, my brand new and unused Festool router, chainsaws, etc. Fortunate that there was a vehicle in the way making it difficult to get any of the bigger stuff. Now, I suppose we'll need to spend a load of money on security to try and prevent them coming back to finish the job....

It's a concrete block built worshop off the back of an open barn, 100 yards or so from the house in a rural setting and happened whilst on holiday. Used a sledgehammer to smash the frame of the roller-shutter door off the blockwork, so a load of rebuilding to be done too, just to top it off.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has experience of a good alarm system - I'm aware of sorts that work by making it so loud it's uncomfortable for someone to remain in the vicinity - which is what we need as this stuff happens when we're away and they can operate at their leisure, making as much noise as they want with noone noticing.

Any ideas?

Thats the pits, sorry I can't give you any advice on alarms, was your gear marked? It may be worth posting a list of the stuff that was taken, I'm sure everyone on UKW will keep an eye open for second hand tools and report anything they think may have been in yours.

Baldhead

An alarm system, although a benefit will not prevent someone from getting in. If you are looking for an alarm system the police will only respond to a monitored system. Not a "bells only" unless someone phones to confirm a suspect has been seen.

With regards to doors, primarily the roller shutter door. A roller shutter door rated LPS 1175SR 2 will prevent all but being rammed by a digger and may even resist that) This rating includes the door. frames, associated hardware and methods of fixing the door to the structure. Although not cheap, not a great deal more than an ineffective roller door

Burglars will always look for the weakest point, Therefore if you have the budget, replace vulnerable doors and windows with ones rated PAS 24: 2012 (Enhanced security). These are tested to similar standards as the above.

Unfortunately security does not come cheap, especially after you have lived through the experience.

In addition, and not to create you further alarm or distress. Should you not choose to enhance security it is almost certain they will return, usually after about a month, when the insurance (if any) has paid out.

Good luck.

David

Sorry to hear about the robbery....... we also live in a rural part and most of the farmers here not only have alarms but they all have security cameras, not just video but high quality stills in IR and normal..... there had been a lot of travellers robbing barns etc and police said its easier to get a conviction if the scum are on film. try maplins etc for decent cameras.

Consider "Smartwater". All my tools and electricals, computers etc are marked. It might not prevent a break in, but your stuff is identifiable, the signs themselves are another deterrent and some insurance companies will give you a discount for using it.

phil.p":3ssw2djy said:
Consider "Smartwater". All my tools and electricals, computers etc are marked. It might not prevent a break in, but your stuff is identifiable, the signs themselves are another deterrent and some insurance companies will give you a discount for using it.

Sorry to hear that,
As Phil said, and try and get a friend or neighbour to drive around and keep an eye on the place.
Even when you are not away.
you can return the favour for them.
These dirty dogs are always watching, anything but work!
Rodders

My bil years ago told me he had installed an alarm system that was pants. His theory was that there were six houses in his lane, and his was the only one with any sort of alarm, so therefore it was good enough. All he had to do was make someone else's property more attractive. There is some truth in this - you are not going to stop dedicated burglars, but you can deter opportunists.

What about some highly visible, but out of reach cameras, they don't even need to work. you could add a set of bright Red LED lights on them as a night time deterrent.

mind_the_goat":15zhv05z said:
What about some highly visible, but out of reach cameras, they don't even need to work. you could add a set of bright Red LED lights on them as a night time deterrent.

His workshop is in a remote location - dummy cameras, cheap alarm systems and the promise from neighbours to "drive by" will not prevent criminal damage/trespass. All of the suggested solutions may assist as part of an overall crime reduction package. However keeping them out is a different matter. And I would suggest this is what is required in this instance.

It's not often I know what I am talking about but on this occasion I do. I have 30 years experience in this field. The key is knowing what the bad guys look for and although each location much be considered on a site specific basis, a remote workshop full of tools is like a honey pot to a thief.

The shop is as the OP mentioned 100 yards from the nearest habitable residence. I would ask, if you heard an alarm activating in a premises, which did not belong to you at three in the morning would you go and investigate? If you answer yes, then you would be about the only person I have come across who would.

CCTV cameras will only be effective if the data captured is acceptable in a court of law i.e identification quality images. Any doubt as to the quality of the data then it will not even pass the disclosure stage therefore render it useless.

Smart water and smoke cloak are effective tools, however by this time the thief has already been inside the premises, which i would suggest is a stage too late.

There are words of wisdom by one of the previous posters - making your site less attractive to neighbouring locations is a starting point. the only issue in this case is, they already know what you have, how to get in and the lack of passive surveillance over the site.

If you are insured then you are part lucky, at least some of the loss will be recovered. However, your insurer will expect you to bolster the levels of security you currently have should they decide to continue your policy.

Good luck

David

Hi sorry to hear this kind of thing pure lowlife scum is what they are. I'm no expert on security but I remember seeing a programme about home security and one of the camera systems if triggered sent a message to your mobile phone that it had been triggered and you could view the footage on your phone or tablet. Something along them lines might be an idea. barring that wire the shutter Door to the mains that should sort the lowlife out.

Be aware they will give you a few months to replace the kit and then hit you again.
Happened to two people I know.

in the end is as David says, reinforce the hell out of any entry/exit points...

really sorry to hear your news, could you park the vehicle right in front of the door? I realise it then risks that being damaged too but anything that slows these B***rds down has got to help?

I'd heard from my Crime prevention, the best deterrents was time taken to get in, i.e. make it as long as possible, and amount of noise made , but that assumes folks are nearby and will go take a look at 3.00am in the morning...
I did scare a car thief off once in the small hours when I heard a noise where my car was parked which fortunately the room I was in, overlooked. I turned the light on and made a racket... Exit stage left would be thief....

lurker":2bk7sll8 said:
Be aware they will give you a few months to replace the kit and then hit you again.
Happened to two people I know.
If that's the case, buy the meanest biggest dog you can and feed it in the mornings so it's starving through the night, hopefully it will bite any lowlife that enters your workshop.

Baldhead

Get yourself one of the professional cctv systems with remote viewing via smartphone/tablet/pc.
I know of one recently installed system that has alarm indication built in, so if someone is in the act you can get a message or phone call. Okay it won't stop them but if you or the police can get there before they get away, they get away with less or get arrested.

Thanks all - no word back from insurance, and still no sign of the police - I appreciate it's not top of their list of concerns, but reported on Saturday and no visit still. I guess it's a dead loss as far as they're concerned - not a lot of investigating to be done....

Definately of a mind that it's all about preventing access, or making is as difficult and awkward as possible. There is a farm road up so we're going to put multiple barriers on that to stop anyone being able to drive up - but it's impossible to stop them parking at the front and walking up, which is what they did this time as the road was blocked by a vehicle. Still, looking at a tall fence/gate half way that will make that a lot harder.

Reinforce the roller shutter - better fixings and reinforcement around the frame. Ditto the pedestrian door (that's made of chequer-plate which I guess is why they didn't try that).

Alarm - with visible alarm box - can't hurt - there are a couple of houses over the way which would hear something - but the issue is most of the time people ignore alarms, but it has to help make it less appealing

CCTV - these systems that notify you - surely they must need the internet to do that? It's a barn, not an office unfortuatnely...! Is that how they work? Obviously there is power, but no phoneline or such like. Perhaps its worth looking for some cheap dummy cameras.

Ah well... I guess you just have to pic yourself up and be extra vigilant - the worry is that they will have seen an awful lot more than they were able to take, so very uneasy now.

Thank for the advice -

Wouldchuck - You have the right idea with regards to introducing as many barriers as possible to hinder straighforward passage to your workshop. This process is known as the "onion peeling" approach in crime prevention terms.

As a tennant/owner of the barn you are responsible for the safety and well being of all of those present at your site. Believe it or not, this applies whether the individual/s are lawfully or not on site. Should you wish to investigate further, take a look at the content of the Ocupiers Liability Act 1984 . You may initially consider the content of the legislation does not appear to favour the victim, however you yourself would likely be prosecuted should you intorduce some of the measures outlined in earlier comments of this thread. Some of which are not only non sensical and irresponsible but down right illegal. I am sure we can appreciate the concerns of thoes contributors for their fellow woodworkers where the safety and security of tools and workshops are at stake. And as well intentioned as the comments may have been, I am sure no one needs reminding, this is an open forum where the poster could be held accountable for their comments. Introducing doors which are wired into the electrical mains or leaving half starved dogs roaming the building will have YOU gripping the rail at Crown Court.

You can of course take all reasonable steps to protect your property, some of which you have already identified in your last post. The law can indeed be an ass at times, however we all have to act within its parametres otherwise all we would have left is anarchy.

Good luck

David

This is so depressing to read, that low life scum take advantage of your hard work. I'd be tempted to sit inside in the dark with a mate or two and some baseball bats........

Back