Shutters again.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Following from my last post on internal shutters, I had a rethink and decided to remove the old venetian blinds and replace with louvred shutters fitted in the recess.

To avoid warpage I decided to make them from a PVC like material.

I ordered up all the raw materials, I hope.

All I need do is cut it to length and join it all up.

The nice man from Parcelforce arrived today. Wish me luck.

T

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_143922_758.jpg
    IMG_20220929_143922_758.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
This is a timely post as my wife wants shutters on some French doors. They can't go internally as it will block a staircase on one side and obstruct the TV on another.

Frame.

IMG_20220930_131547_257.jpg

Stiles and rails

IMG_20221001_125415_380.jpg

Louvres

IMG_20221001_132517_005.jpg

Completed panels

IMG_20221001_141217_485.jpgIMG_20221001_141412_4.jpg

And with frame

.IMG_20221001_191409_4.jpg

I must say it was a lot of work and time consuming, as I've not done anything like it before.

One more to do, a little more than twice the size with bi folds.

looks good! does it block any extra sound or improve the heat within the room?

looks good! does it block any extra sound or improve the heat within the room?
They've only been up a couple of hours.

Once I get the other larger window done I'll be able to see if there's a difference.

They look good, where did you but the bits from? were they a kit or did you follow a particular design?
I went online and bought the preformed louvres, framing, stiles and rails in lengths which gave me the least waste.

No kit or instructions provided. I just made the most simple design to fit my window.

They look really good I’m thinking of making a couple for my windows after being quoted Really silly high prices
Could you please tell my where online your bought your materials
Thanks

They look really good I’m thinking of making a couple for my windows after being quoted Really silly high prices
Could you please tell my where online your bought your materials
Thanks
I bought them here.

https://shutterplus.co.uk/
They have a nifty spreadsheet where you enter the dimensions of your windows etc and they tell you what you need.
It's still up to you to decide the best lengths to buy to suit.
Only fault I found with it was it underestimated the length of the rails by about 18mm so it might be an idea, if you decide to order, to leave some wiggle room.
Everything else was spot on.

As for the price I was quoted £1050 - £1200 for my two windows.

I made these for <>£600. in my spare time.

I bought them here.

https://shutterplus.co.uk/
They have a nifty spreadsheet where you enter the dimensions of your windows etc and they tell you what you need.
It's still up to you to decide the best lengths to buy to suit.
Only fault I found with it was it underestimated the length of the rails by about 18mm so it might be an idea, if you decide to order, to leave some wiggle room.
Everything else was spot on.

As for the price I was quoted £1050 - £1200 for my two windows.

I made these for <>£600. in my spare time.

I measured up and then fitted a lot of these plantation shutters for a customer. They ordered them direct from China. They are identical to the ones people are charging silly money for here. Came completely finished ready to fit but cost very much less.

Ollie

I measured up and then fitted a lot of these plantation shutters for a customer. They ordered them direct from China. They are identical to the ones people are charging silly money for here. Came completely finished ready to fit but cost very much less.

Ollie
If I was going to make it a business I would definitely look at China, but for a one off for myself I was happy saving 40 - 50%. and enjoyed making them.

If I was going to make it a business I would definitely look at China, but for a one off for myself I was happy saving 40 - 50%. and enjoyed making them.
That's great, I was just mentioning it for people who might be thinking of buying them really.

Ollie

Back