Shuttering ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwercus

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to locate a source of good quality shuttering plywood, by good quality I mean the resin faced stuff that is used for poured concrete moulds. Most timber stockists seem to think I mean the low grade stuff that is used for temporary repairs, hoardings etc. I've never seen the better stuff stocked in any timber yard. Perhaps it has to be specially ordered. Any advice appreciated.

Q; Why did the mushroom like going to parties?. A; Cos he was a fun guy (fungi) geddit.

If you want a smooth finish Metriform shuttering were excellent, they supply a shuttering system that makes
They also supplied the finished sheets for on site make ups.
Metsa also do them.
Regards Rodders
Or these.
http://www.hanson-plywood.co.uk/pages/concrete-formwork

Douglas Fir Ply, "Good one side" was the cheaper option, and a good mould release oil,
Dont forget the the concrete gang, and the man with the poker are normally responsible for a good job, clean finish, without any "birdsnests",and keeping any moulding details sharp.
The stuff above is serious money!

n0legs is right and slightly wrong.

Phenolic ply has a resin coated top which has a raised pattern on it and a smooth resin bottom. Can be called Buffalo board and used for truck beds and other things including shuttering.

If you look on Ebay you will see various types of this at prices ranging from around £40 to £90 but not all ply is the same.

Some is phenolic on Chinese cheap ply.

Some is on WBP

Some is on lower grade Birch ply

Some is on Baltic Birch ply inc the Riga Brand ply.

Simply choose and use. The Chinese stuff is just about as poor as the normal shuttering ply but works with a frame to back it up. I have had good use out of the WBP variety.

My replacement trailer bed uses Baltic Birch 25mm thick...excellent stuff.

Quercus,

I try to avoid the Chinese ply as it is often softwood based and has poor holding characteristics for screws/nails.

WBP can be OK. The ply will have stamped on it the standard claimed and origin. Its good fun to ask the seller to interpret these for you to confirm quality.

yes ply grades can be a nightmare to interpret but price is often a good indicator....cheap is as cheap does so beware.

Latest posts

Back