should I glue garden table top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustjon

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a garden table, all the joints are cut, all the slats are trimmed and shaped and I am ready to assemble. Following a tip last week on what glue to use I am ready to glue all the mortise and tenon joints, but should I glue the slats into the rebate I have cut into the table top or should I leave them loose. One idea I had was to possibly screw some brass screws from under the table into the rebate to allow for a little movement.
Please help!
Thanks ,John

These slats are they fully jointed ie tenoned doweled etc. if so glue them as well but it will soon break down with the changes in moisture. If they need some sort of restraint then the screws seem like a good idea but still glue as well, I can't see how it can do any harm. :)

I'm not much of a wood worker but I'll throw in my 2p worth. I wouldnt personally glue the slats if the tables going to spend a lot of time out in the weather, possably use screws like you suggested but with some elongated holes to allow for a little movement.

Fwiw

Latest posts

Back