Should be interesting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been given a rootball by one of my regular donors, the gardener. He thinks that it is cherry but isn't sure. It is roughly 10" round and at the moment got mud and stones in it. I will clean it up and turn it and see what we have. Could be some really lovely wood, could be nothing. I will try and do a WIP with it if I can remember LOL.
Watch this space as they say

Pete

root ball 2.jpg
root ball 5.jpg
root ball 4.jpg
root ball.jpg

Attachments

• root ball 2.jpg
    root ball 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,503
  • root ball 5.jpg
    root ball 5.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,503
  • root ball 4.jpg
    root ball 4.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,503
  • root ball.jpg
    root ball.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,503
Fit a pair of horns to it and call it "The root of all evil"

Seriously I will be watching with interest as I have a Prunus (Spelling) tree that I am going to take down later in the year it is about 5" diameter in the trunk so will also dig out the root.

The suspense is killing. Get on with it. As you can tell we are all rooting for you :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't have a pressure washer so that option isn't available. Be patient. I have a new turner for some tuition the next two days so wil make a start Monday all going well.

Pete

May I suggest you dump it in a tub of water for a few dfays, then most of the earth will fall off?

Please check for stones embedded between the roots.

It has potential!

Axminster had a nice reduced price pressure washer at Woodworks in Daventry, perhaps a call to the Nuneaton branch????

Regards, Peter

petercharlesfagg":3r7aiics said:
May I suggest you dump it in a tub of water for a few dfays, then most of the earth will fall off?

Please check for stones embedded between the roots.

It has potential!

Axminster had a nice reduced price pressure washer at Woodworks in Daventry, perhaps a call to the Nuneaton branch????

Regards, Peter

Thanks Peter. I have done this before and it is amazing the speed those little bits of stone can shoot out at. Usually I wash it as you suggest then have a good pick through it to make sure I get any obvious stones out. Roughing it out I always go really slow at first though I have found stones right in the middle before now. Definitely a time when face protection is mandatory LOL

pete

Hi Pete make sure your local A+E are open looks like a dangerous mission but daring cant wait to see end result good luck mate
Regards
Bill

Is it just me.

A gardener digs up the ugliest root stump you could conceive and his first thought is to give it to a woodturner.

Is this what the world thinks of us?

Bill

Back