Shou sugi ban - wood charring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm short of projects or ideas but I've seen a few posts on Pinterest showing Shou sugi ban or charred wood projects and wondered whether anyone had any experience of this?
I only tend to make smallish items but thought something like a jewellery box using charred wood as a contrast to a light coloured timber might look quite good.
So any information such as the type of woods to use, how much charring do you need, how do you clean the wood afterwards and what do you use to seal it with would be really good.
There is obviously lots of information on line but some first hand experience would be useful.

Only ever seen it done once. A guy was building a house and did the fascia board.

Burnt to a crisp with a big blowtorch and cleaned with a wire brush in an angle grinder.

How were you thinking to char only some of the wood only Glynne? I don't think it's a goer to try to do it in situ and if the plan is to pre-char some of the wood and then make certain box elements out of it I think you'll run into problems that wouldn't normally crop up with this technique.

I have seen charring used on drawer pulls and the like, but I don't think it would work easily for any flush panel pieces or similar.

I've seen whole pieces of furniture or boards charred but I was wondering if I could use charred wood as a component - so char the wood, clean, seal and then use along with other "untreated " wood.
I would obviously not be able to burn the wood too much and I would have to be selective with joints (so dovetails will be out) but there would appear to articles made after the wood has been charred.
The traditional wood is cypress & cedar but evidently you can use pine and even oak (according to Pinterest) but I just wondered if I could pick up on other people's experience who have attempted it.

this is on my list for a jewellery box too, since I saw the technique on youtube. I was thinking that I would char the wood, then use it.

it is nowhere near the top of my list though!

we had a painter who would "stain" the new skirtings with a blow lamp before varnishing to match existing shades.
all the best
rob

Back