Short review - Skil 7650 Belt Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

Last week in a shower of sparks and electrical smells of a terminal nature my Hitachi 4in Belt Sander finally died, in all honestly it's been gong thru its death throws for about a year.

So I went to bed thinking about belt sanders, secretly in the middle of the night the Axminster Elves drilled into my head extracted my thoughts and the following day sent me an email advertising the above belt sander at an offer price of £64.94. By the way how do they do it? I only have to think about a tool and almost instantly my inbox is full of tempting offers???

Anyway as funds are a bit short I dipped my toe in the water and on Monday the sander arrived. Now I don't expect the pro's are going to want one but after a couple of days of rigouress testing I love it and think anybody in the market for a budget belt sander that looks, feels and performs well above it's price please check it out.

900w motor means it doesn't bog down no matter how hard I tried, casing is very solidly built tracking works fine and finally the two best features I feel. Firstly a sanding frame which fits in seconds and means (hopefully) no more gouges in the workpiece and an included clamping system to use it inverted. The two enlosed clamps fit right inside the body of the machine and allied to a completely flat top (bottom when inverted) means that it sits rock steady on the bench if you want to use it in this mode. Only slight critisism is the dust bag is very small but you do get an additional adaptor to make hose connection a breeze.

I grind primary bevels on my chisels etc with the aid of a jig and a belt sander and always have done. Good news is with the sander set on speed 1 it's runs alot slower than my old sander. Not that I worry about overheating the metal as I only use a very coarse belt and don't keep the tool on the belt for more than a couple of seconds at a time. I also used my old sander laid on it's side with a table abutting the belt as a rough shaping device and the Skil will be getting it's own frame and table built this weekend.

See link below and don't hesitate if you are in the market.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/skil-skil-7650-belt-sander-prod480442/#bottomsection

Promise I'll follow this up in a few months when I'll either still be smiling or saving up for a "proper" brand.

Cheers

Richard

It is a shame it's only 3" or I might have been tempted. I have a Skil 4" belt sander and have had it for years and years but it is almost on it's last legs now. I am sure you will not be disappointed with it especially for the price. :wink:

Mailee

I agree 4in would have been much nicer and I will miss my old Hitachi for that very reason, although maybe not the screeching from the bearings and the scary sparks! I've loathed 3in sanders in the past as they always felt tippy but this thing with the plate on it is so solid, slower over large pieces but for £65 it's a steal.

Regards

Richard

Back